Cannot connect using VirtualBox on Windows 10

I’m stumped early in the process. Unless someone here can help I’m going to have to give up on HA before I even got started :frowning:

I’m using an old laptop with Windows 10 with plenty enough grunt. I did a factory reset, then performed all the windows updates, installed VirtualBox 6.1, and then followed the steps on the Windows - Home Assistant installation guide until it asked me to go to homeassistant.local:8123, at which point I got a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.

I have tried:

• Multiple browsers: Chrome, Edge, and Internet Explorer
  • Both homeassistant.local:8123 and homeassistant:8123/
  • Putting both http:// and https:// at the start
  • The IPv4 Address according to ipconfig in command prompt (192.168.5.80) with :8123 on the end. In this instance I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error instead.
  • Installing Fing on my phone and trying the only IP address I couldn’t readily identify
  • Switching off Windows Security Real-time protection and trying all of the above again
  • Reading a bunch of posts on this forum and videos on YouTube

network info returned the following…
Screenshot 2022-07-10 195225|237x442

All of my devices (including the laptop running HA) are connected to my router via a Tenda Mesh3 home mesh wifi system. I thought that might be the problem, but I tried connecting the laptop directly to my router via ethernet adapter and got the same problem. (I switched off wifi and made sure the ethernet connection was working. Then I updated the network settings in the VM and rebooted it). :confused:

Please help!

If the above message from nikito7 does not solve the issue, you might be running an adblocker which for some reason blocks access to HA.

1 Like
  • is your vb network set to ‘bridged’ ?
  • can you check the router if it got an IP-address (by checking the mac address in VB’s netwrok settings)

If it still fails:

1. try accessing it on another device (mobilde phone e.g.)
  2. Try disabling Windows Firewall
  3. Be sure that your network profile has been set as private and not public network.
    (Windows seems to make it public by default in special cases, blocking almost anything)
    grafik

I know this is not what you are looking for, but you might want to look into VMware Player. I ran HA in vBox on windows 10 and seemed to always have issues.

Now that I’m on VMware, It’s been MUCH better.

Same here (got a lot of cpu errors with VB)
HyoerV is also good, provided you don’t need USB…

I was having the exact same issue. I tried VirtualBox and could see it on my network but no amount of firewall disabling was allowing me to get the web interface. I switched to VMWare and everything worked right away! Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like