Cannot find z-wave usb stick path

Hi all,

Recently reinstalled my whole Home Assistant instance as it was very messy with lots of errors. I am just done getting everything set up again but I cannot for the life of me find the correct z wave stick path. I have tried /dev/ttyACM*, ttyACM*, etc. I am running Home Assistant on Docker via Synology. Had no problems before. I’m sure I’m missing something very simple but I can’t even find the “Hardware” tab on the new version of Hass. I’m currently running version 0.113.2.

Thanks!

If you’re just running Home Assistant in Docker without the full Home Assistant OS image, you’ll need to pass your device into the docker container. You mention the “hardware” tab, which is part of the Supervisor and would only be available if you have a Supervised install (either VM or installed manually). So, how did you really install Home Assistant?

There is no Supervisor tab … I have been reading tutorials to find this thing which must have been written exclusively for hass. I am running through docker. Have been doing so successfully for awhile until reinstall. How do I pass device into the docker container?

There’s a whole section on this in the docs: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/.

have you look here

supervisor -> System -> Hardware

They said they’re not using a Supervised install, but instead just installing manually via Docker.

Getting “”/dev/TTYACM0": no such file or directory." when I follow the tutorial you linked.

Case is important, and nowhere in that page do they say “/dev/TTYACM0”. If it’s there at all, it would probably be “/dev/ttyACM0”. In any case, you’ll need to find the proper device on your system.

Best bet would be something in the /dev/serial/by-id directory, but that’s only if appropriate udev rules are set up. Otherwise do ls -al /dev/ttyACM*

1 Like

That did it! Thank you!! Currently using /dev/ttyACM0 but I will use the dev/serial/by-id once I get everything up and running. You are the man and have made my night. I greatly appreciate your time and knowledge.

Glad it’s working. I think I missed the possibility in the original post that were actually using the path “/dev/ttyACM*”, rather than just indicating that you’d tried “/dev/ttyACM0”, “/dev/ttyACM1”, etc. You can’t just put a wildcard there :slight_smile:

No, I had gone through ttyACM1-4, etc. Just hadn’t passed it through docker, and when running the command didn’t use the correct case.

Ok, a couple of lessons learned :).