Cannot flash a NodeMCU - why?

I have previously flashed ESPHome on several devices, but am now very confused because I cannot install it on another device.

I inserted my new device, a HiLetgo ESP8266 NodeMCU, into a proto-board, attached a micro-USB cable to it, and plugged the other end into my computer. I launched Chromium, went to web.esphome.io, and my computer readily connected with the NodeMCU (a window showed ‘CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller (COM23) – paired’).

I then clicked ‘Prepare for adoption’, saw the blue LED on the NodeMCU flash several times, but was then shown a window with ‘Failed to initialize’. I tried holding down the flash button as the device was plugged into the USB, holding down the flash button until I saw the error message, and tried two USB cables. Now what???

Plug it into the computer running esphome?

No can do - it is a remotely-placed Raspberry Pi with no monitor, etc. Since it is running Hassio, I cannot install the program to allow me to access it via remote desktop…

Are you using esphome on the pi? You can flash it via the esphome ui.

Had to poke around for a minute, since I had not done this previously, but it worked - thanks.

It started out as the only way to do it :slight_smile: