Cannot get hass service to work (linux / systemd)

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 that will be dedicated to HomeAssistant. However, for fun, I decided to install Raspbian on the device, then install HomeAssistant on top of that. I followed the instructions here https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/virtualenv/ (without creating a separate user/group), but ran into a problem when runnign hass for the first time. The problem was resolved by opening up file permissions …/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages.

I then followed the instructions here https://home-assistant.io/docs/autostart/systemd/ configure the system so that hass would run, and autorun, as a service. I again ran into problems.

I believe that the service file is correct (note - I am lazy and typically operate using sudo -s, thus no sudo before each command):

root@podhomeauto:/etc/systemd/system# cat [email protected]
[Unit]
Description=Home Assistant
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=%i
ExecStart=/home/pi/homeassistant/bin/hass -c “/home/pi/.homeassistant”

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Next, I executed the commands shown:

root@podhomeauto:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl --system daemon-reload
root@podhomeauto:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl enable home-assistant@pi
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/[email protected] → /etc/systemd/system/[email protected].
root@podhomeauto:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl start home-assistant@pi
Failed to get properties: Unit name [email protected] is missing the instance name.
See system logs and ‘systemctl status [email protected]’ for details.

When I looked in the various log files for details, I found nothing useful (only relevant lines are shown):

root@podhomeauto:/var/log# tail -50 daemon.log
Nov 27 23:12:26 podhomeauto systemd[1]: Reloading.
Nov 27 23:12:38 podhomeauto systemd[1]: Reloading.
root@podhomeauto:/var/log# ls -al

root@podhomeauto:/var/log# tail -50 syslog
Nov 27 23:12:26 podhomeauto systemd[1]: Reloading.
Nov 27 23:12:38 podhomeauto systemd[1]: Reloading.

The file permissions seem to be set correctly (because they are the same as the one other service file in the folder) (only two files are shown):

root@podhomeauto:/etc/systemd/system# ls -al
total 76
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 Nov 27 23:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Sep 7 10:47 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1551 Aug 11 09:40 [email protected]
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 199 Nov 27 23:04 [email protected]

Would you please help me try to resolve this problem?

ExecStart=/home/pi/homeassistant/bin/hass -c “/home/pi/.homeassistant”

This line refers to a binary file in the pi user directory.

You need the service file for the virtual environment, its the second section on the systemd page.

gpbenton,

Thanks you for the reply, but I am not understanding…

I created the service file as per the instructions. I modified it such that the target of ExecStart is the binary file - I double-checked its location. The hass executable is in /home/pi/homeassistant/bin/hass, not /usr/bin.

Would you kindly offer some specific suggestions for me to try?

Weird - I just tried again and it worked. I made no changes, other than a) the system had been power-cycled and b) I ran the command via ssh instead of the terminal.

Let’s mark this up as resolved, though I have no idea why…

I have just realized (from answering another post), that the page I linked to has been changed. You followed the instructions from the first part, which I didn’t know existed. So, your service file is fine.

As to why it didn’t work, you do have to do sudo systemctl daemon-reload when you add a new service file, which may have been the problem. I’m not sure if the system does that automatically on a reboot, but from your experience it may well do.