Cannot get the onkyo integration to work

Hi there,
I got an Onkyo TX-NR7100 AVR which I want to add to HA. I added the following to my configuration yaml file:

media_player:
  - platform: onkyo
    host: 10.0.0.207
    name: receiver
    sources:
      pc: "HTPC"

as described in the docs: Onkyo - Home Assistant

The IP is correct, when I open it in the browser I get the web interface of the AVR.

After restarting my home assistant container or even the whole raspberry pi I don’t see an onkyo integration in the settings. Also I dont see a device named “receiver”.

The logs list a few timeouts:

Logger: homeassistant.components.media_player
Source: helpers/entity_platform.py:797
Integration: Media player (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 01:33:00 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 01:33:00
Updating onkyo media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.entity
Source: helpers/entity.py:527
First occurred: 01:33:00 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 01:33:00

Update of media_player.receiver is taking over 10 seconds

I am on version Home Assistant 2023.1.7.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Do you see a media_player entity in states in the dev tools?

Also, you won’t get a device, only an entity. And you won’t see it in settings.

1 Like

Thanks! I haven’t encountered an integration yet which doesnt result in a new device I guess.

The entity is there and everything works as it should, I just didn’t look in the right place. For anybody with the same receiver, here is my config with all the inputs the 7100 offers:

media_player:
  - platform: onkyo
    host: 10.0.0.207
    name: receiver
    sources:
      bd: "Playstation 3"
      game: "X-Box One X"
      strm-box: "Fire TV"
      pc: "PC"
      net: "Network"
      # cbl: "cbl"
      # aux1: "aux"
      # cd: "CD"
      # tv: "TV"
      # phone: "Phono"
      # dab: "Radio"
      # bluetooth: "Bluetooth"
2 Likes

@plissk3n
thank you so much, couldn’t get to run the [onkyo-eiscp] module !
I can now finally set-up the sources on my Integra receiver!

I know this post is old, but I wanted to share what helped me…

Youtube video that got it working for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4zFSO0BG4

The documentation failed to mention in order to use the “onkyo” command that you need to drop to a terminal and type:

pip install onkyo-eiscp

Then you can run the onkyo commands to find source, volume, etc. onkyo

onkyo-eiscp is installed by the integration. See core/homeassistant/components/onkyo/manifest.json at 487480dc8874ed1de4562bbdfb9f1dafed5ff7bd · home-assistant/core · GitHub

If you want to use it at the commandline then (assuming you are using a container based system, eg HAOS, Supervised or Container, enter the home assistant container, and fill your boots

docker exec -it homeassistant bash

Then once you are in, you can run the onkyo command

onkyo --discover

or whatever. The command is documented here https://github.com/miracle2k/onkyo-eiscp

Having said all that, the integration will

1. find all your sources (once the amp is turned on)
  2. create a separate media_player entity for each zone

so there probably isn’t much need for running onkyo-eiscp from the commandline.

1 Like

thanks for the container lesson. I just used pip and used it to figure out what my sources were named so I could create a drop down that matched my source labels. HDMI1-7 was not very descriptive. :wink:

It was useful to make sure My HA box was communicating with it, because I could not figure out how to set up the cards at first and did not know if it was working as the lack of an unique ID does not allow me to look at logs.

I do have it streaming my DNLA server, internet radio from radio-browser and can control basic functions like on/off, source switching, and poll status now. the onkyo command helped me verify what was possible before I sorted out how to get the functions in the UI. Now I need to consolidate the interface. :+1:

It creates a media_player entity, just like any other media_player. It has a native card.

The mini-media-player is good.