Cannot see files in config after restoring backup

Hi all,
I hope you can help me out.

I had to restore a backup but after doing that I can no longer see the content of the config folder.

What do I have to do to see it again. All my configuration files seem to be gone but everything is working so they must be somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Merc

How are you attempting to access the config folder?

What sort of installation do you have?

Hi tom_I,
I am running it on a pi with HA OS.

I did an incremental backup restore (and possibly that was a mistake) and wanted to check the configuration. yaml through file editor as usual. But the whole configuration folder is gone in file editor.
Through Samba I cannot get into the config folder either.

Everything is running but e. g. in the Esp setting my adapters are not showing up… but the devices are still working…

All very strange to me.

Appreciate any hint.
Thanks,
Merc

Whatever I tried I could not find it anymore.
So I went back to a FULL backup from about 3 weeks ago and installed this.

Everything is working again but I really do not understand what had happened.

Is this expected behaviour, i.e. does a partial backup installation lead to config files missing?

In any case, I have learned something again and thank your for the help.

Merc

Same thing happened to me.

I had the exact same behavior. Did a partial restore to the Home Assistant part of the backup, and the config folder is now completely empty, including subdirectories like .storage.

I tried that after carefully watching some videos about backup and restore, to better understand the process, but that came as a big surprise. Looks like an undocumented feature to me :frowning:

I also tried to manually create a file under the config folder, but I get an error “no such file”.

I would also like to understand what is the solution for this…

Mystery solved - just disable the Protection Mode in the Terminal Addon and then restart it.

However, it is still missing from the file editor…

2 Likes

I’m runnig into the same error. Restoring from a Backup and the config folder is empty.
I also just restarted the SAMBA and the SSH / Terminal Addon, and the Files are back.
Very strange

Edit:
I have the restart ALL addons that have access to the config folder, like Studio Code Server.

1 Like

Great one! Had the same issues and just restarting the Samba Share worked! Thank you :smiley:

I had the same issue and was able to solve it by restarting the SSH add-on (which is how I was gaining access to the file system)

1 Like

Looks like the 2023.4.4 broke things.

Restoring the 2023.4.3 raised this issue about accessing config file. Restarting addons don’t help.
I had to do a full OS restart (restart HA failed as I needed to remove some YAML for an addon I just removed).

Had the same issue. Did a partial restore from x. 2023.5.2 back to 4.9 and the Editor could not open the file system.

I solved the problem with a simple stop and restart of the Editor Add-On.

Maybe helps.

1 Like

I had this issue after a partial backup,
solved it by restarting SambaShare, then SSH&Web Terminal, then Studio Code Server.

…I’m pretty sure SSH&Web terminal had no effect probably just samba and studio code are needed

1 Like

upgraded to hass 10, all integrations stopped working, after a while i saw I can’t access the configuration.yml file.

you’re a life saver, thanks!