Cannot share (some) linked entities in Google Home app

Yo, so in my crusade to fully debug my house, I’ve come across an issue with Google Home and Nabu Casa and I’m wondering if 1) other people can replicate this and 2) if there are plans to fix it (either on the Nabu Casa or Google side)

The short version is that I am unable to share certain Home Assistant entities in the Google Home App.

I created a home (“BRUH”) and linked Home Assistant to it via Nabu Casa. I can see/control all entities as expected. When I share that home with others (e.g. my wife), she can only see / control entities which are linked to rooms. Anything that’s not in a room is MIA (e.g. scripts).

Why does that matter? I use scripts to control global automations (e.g. bedtime). I use Google routines to trigger that script when I say goodnight to Google Home. Those routines are linked to my Google account. Since my wife cannot access entities that aren’t in a room, she cannot create a good night routine.

I have a workaround using an input boolean, but that’s kind of a drag. :wink:

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum!

1 Like

My workaround is a “script” room.

Downside of this : never ask Google “turn on script” or your home will go crazy…

Haha, yeah. That’s always a good time. “Okay, turning on 42 things” which only happens when my wife is sleeping…

@balloob, is there any way to assign scripts to a room so that they can be shared with family members? Perhaps we could make a room called global or something for these generic entities?

Oh wait, you see scripts on the main Google Home interface (e.g. with the lights and such) and can add them to a room? My scripts are MIA on that page. I only see them when I look under “Adjust Scenes” tab while managing a routine.

All scripts show up as routines in Google, so you can activate them from the routines page or say “activate X”.

Do you see your scripts there?

According to my 30 seconds of googling, it looks like routines should be shared. https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/505976?msgid=8401787

Yes, I can see the scripts on the routine page and activate the script directly (or via a routine) no problem. My wife cannot. She can’t see any Home Assistant entities that aren’t in a room.

I also confirmed that my wife cannot activate my routines but I believe a 3rd party who’s voice isn’t recognized (and hasn’t linked a Google account) could. I did not see a way to share a Google routine at this point.

So unless I’m still missing it, I still don’t see a way for my wife to activate home assistant scripts from her Google account (or from a Google home that has her account linked)?

Do you think it’s best to wait for Google to allow routine sharing, or do you think it makes sense to assign scripts to a “global” room so they can be shared?

I’m guessing that You have a google account … and that your wife has a google account . … and they are both registered with google home.
So much the same way she can’t access your calendar or music (examples only) you can’t access hers.
So what makes these scripts yours and not common like the devices in your rooms ?
Just trying to stimulate some ideas here.

So how do you call a particular script … and is this the same way your wife does ?

No can’t see them, but i just assign the room with Home Assistant (i use manual setup for google assistant).

Correct, we both have google accounts that are linked to our Google Homes.

She cannot access my calendar or reminders, but she can access the linked media accounts. These accounts are linked to a household (not an individual google account).

Home Assistant scripts (or scenes) are used for a variety of global functions around the house (e.g. bedtime). Example: I active a bedtime script by saying “Activate bedtime” or I have a Google Routine called bedtime that I trigger by saying “good night” and it goes through a series of actions ending in calling the bedtime script in Home Assistant.

My wife cannot do any of that as you cannot share any entity in a household that’s not in a room.

Gotcha. That makes sense. So, the manual setup allows you to assign scripts to a room, but this is not possible with the current “manage entities” configuration under the cloud tab? Good to know!

I don’t know the UI for Google Assistant and cloud use of HA. But i think you can still use some yaml to assign a room to your scripts !
See nabucasa website there’s an option to use yaml and a parameter room:

@bruhautomation
How did you do this now? Added it to a room or… ?
I’m in the same situation, i have scripts added to a routine too for going to bed… and she wants to activate it too in her routine, but she cant

I tried exposing the scripts into a room in google, but they arent showing up :frowning:
My other stuff i exposed to a room , does show up.

Any idea?

1 Like

This is a fairly old thread… but it was driving me crazy. I was trying to setup a special Christmas routine for my wife, but scripts were not showing up in her Google Home app. I solved the issue by “reconnecting” nabu casa and adding the scripts to rooms on the first screen after connecting nabu casa. (I couldn’t find any other way to add scripts to rooms so they show up on family members accounts)

They don’t show up on the home screen in the rooms, but they show up when you add a routine and select to “adjust home devices” > “adjust scenes”

I hope this helps someone else.

1 Like