Cannot Update to 2021.1.4 or 2021.1.5

I had no issue updating to 2021.1.0/1/2/3, so I’m on 2021.1.3 right now. When I press the “update” button nothing happens. It just goes right back to the supervisor screen.

this is in my logs:

21-01-24 02:31:11 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'HomeAssistantCore.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy

I’m running home assistant in Ubuntu. I realize this is not a supported installation, haven’t gotten around to migrating.

The help article and posts here say I need to re-run the installation scripts.

Do I need to set the command line parameters when I do this?

argument default description
-m –machine
-d –data-share $PREFIX/share/hassio
-p –prefix /usr
-s –sysconfdir /etc

There should be something in the Supervisor log… It should say it’s pulling the new version etc or give some reason/error

It was there… I just updated my post, not sure why I didn’t see it before. What do you think about my question above related to the script?

What version of Ubuntu? I believe there is an ssh command to make it ignore the unhealthy condition. I’ll see if I can find it.

That shows the command and discussion there

/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant$ ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy
1 Like

20.04, but I have fixed it… There were a few host updates to apply. After that I was able to update. I’ve been putting off a migration given the size of my installation… about 350 physical devices (zigbee, zwave, wifi)…

Do you know if migrating is as easy as, taking a backup, using the backup in the setup process on the new system, plug my zwave/zigbee stick in… is that it? I’m just concerned I’ll have to pair my devices again.

You should be able to make a snapshot and that will include wave/zigbee and restore that on the new system.

1 Like

I have the same problem.
Ubuntu is probably one of the most popular Linux distros, yet Home Assistant doesn’t like it??

This is nuts.

"21-01-24 00:56:59 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] ‘Tasks._update_addons’ blocked from execution, system is not healthy
"

WTH???

WTH??? And why did you tag me?
It was MAY last year people were told to migrate away from Ubuntu. If you want a supported installation don’t run Ubuntu… This is not news.

1 Like
steve@NUC:~$ /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant$ ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy
-bash: /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant$: No such file or directory

Now what?

You need to do that from the ssh addon or by running docker exec in the HA container. It looks like you are trying to do it from the host.

Is your host OS updated?

What SSH addon?

Yes, but apparently Ubuntu is not approved by Home Assistant Gods and never be a supported installation.

It’s news to me.

First I am confused with HassIO or HASS-OS, then supervised or not, docker or native, and now I discover that the OS I’ve been using for a year is not approved. And I thought that Microsoft had obfuscating cornered.

Wasn’t Docker supposed to make programs OS agnostic?

Though it will be very painful to migrate everything that I am using on Ubuntu on my NUC, what distro is approved? And likely to remain approved for the foreseeable future?

No, everything still runs on the host OS. It’s not virtualised (like a VM). A container provides a level of isolation whereas a VM is an abstraction.

Debian Buster per the docs.

Either the core one or the community one. You just can’t run that command on the host. You can run it is a console of the container if you use Portainer.

You must have been living under a rock as there has been extensive discussion about it.

1 Like

It usually does…but not in this specific case. And the reason is completely the fault of the Supervisor.

the Supervisor runs on the Host…kind of…or at least needs direct access to some services on the host - at least one thing is that there is a “supervisor” service that runs directly on the host monitoring the status of the supervisor container.

the HA team is worried that if people start running other things on the host other than HA related stuff that something else on the host will cause an issue with those services that the Supervisor relies on. So they decided that instead of trying to figure out any multitude of potential issues caused by users actions outside of HA then they just decided to lock things down.

there are ways around it but I don’t think any of them are “easy” to migrate into from a running system.

My way was to just not run the Supervised version.

Interestingly tho, I do have a Supervised version running as a test platform that I’ve had running for months and I’ve never had any issues doing any updates. Maybe it’s the simple fact that I run Debian instead of Ubuntu as the host that’s prevented me any woes. Other than that I haven’t done anything special with my host OS like modify any config files to get HA Supervised to run and update.

2 Likes

As a fellow Ubuntu -> Docker -> HA Supervised user I get it. I’m not happy about the decision, but it’s not mine to make and now I’ll eventually have to reinstall my entire implementation to be “compliant”. As such, I’m also opting to not run Supervised period, as at any point the maintainers could just as easily decide Debian Buster is no longer supported, or Supervised is no longer supported, and you’ll die on a vine.

That said, every time my implementation as been marked as “unhealthy”, I’m able to reboot the host and it will return to “healthy”. No idea what’s causing the Supervisor to go into an “unhealthy” state, for my $0.02 worth, it’s completely and totally arbitrary and seems to be related to the number of times I’ve rebooted HA Core. When it happens, I reboot the host, and I’m back. On a rare occasion I may also have to run apt get upgrade and THEN reboot.

I’m running Ubuntu Focal Fossa (20.04 LTS).

Interestingly tho, I do have a Supervised version running as a test platform that I’ve had running for months and I’ve never had any issues doing any updates. Maybe it’s the simple fact that I run Debian instead of Ubuntu as the host that’s prevented me any woes.

If you’re running Debian Buster (10), then yep. That’s the only supported Supervised HA.

I will say that moving from Ubuntu to Debian buster, the system runs better, Ubuntu comes with a fair chunk of bloat it seems. I was having package updates to install most days on Ubuntu, on Debian once a month.
From what I understand, docker usually does make an app platform agnostic, but not when you want that app to access ZigBee sticks etc.