Cannot Update to 2021.1.4 or 2021.1.5

As a fellow Ubuntu -> Docker -> HA Supervised user I get it. I’m not happy about the decision, but it’s not mine to make and now I’ll eventually have to reinstall my entire implementation to be “compliant”. As such, I’m also opting to not run Supervised period, as at any point the maintainers could just as easily decide Debian Buster is no longer supported, or Supervised is no longer supported, and you’ll die on a vine.

That said, every time my implementation as been marked as “unhealthy”, I’m able to reboot the host and it will return to “healthy”. No idea what’s causing the Supervisor to go into an “unhealthy” state, for my $0.02 worth, it’s completely and totally arbitrary and seems to be related to the number of times I’ve rebooted HA Core. When it happens, I reboot the host, and I’m back. On a rare occasion I may also have to run apt get upgrade and THEN reboot.

I’m running Ubuntu Focal Fossa (20.04 LTS).

Interestingly tho, I do have a Supervised version running as a test platform that I’ve had running for months and I’ve never had any issues doing any updates. Maybe it’s the simple fact that I run Debian instead of Ubuntu as the host that’s prevented me any woes.

If you’re running Debian Buster (10), then yep. That’s the only supported Supervised HA.

I will say that moving from Ubuntu to Debian buster, the system runs better, Ubuntu comes with a fair chunk of bloat it seems. I was having package updates to install most days on Ubuntu, on Debian once a month.
From what I understand, docker usually does make an app platform agnostic, but not when you want that app to access ZigBee sticks etc.

What do you plan on doing? I’m thinking of installing on Proxmox. This is a supported installation type, right?

Nope.

Debian 9 with a bunch of other stuff installed and running on the host.

Don’t get me wrong, it says I’m running an unsupported version. I’ve just never been blocked from updating due to an “unhealthy state”.

1 Like

that’s not true either.

I have three USB sticks (a zwave, a zigbee and a zigbee + zwave) and all I need to do is pass them thru as a device in the docker run config for the container.

The main guy that maintains supervisor must be wrong then

Maybe. Because I ran HA in a Docker container way before there were supervised installs and I’ve never had a problem with any USB devices.

Or maybe it was a misunderstanding on your part?

No, I maybe just oversimplified it for you. Here’s the full thread

I purchased a Home Assistant Blue and just waiting for it to arrive. Figured physical hardware from the project is the least likely to arbitrarily become unsupported. In my opinion, it’s where the project will end up eventually based on decisions to eliminate support for various installation methods (e.g. Hubitat). It’s not worth it for me to spend all the time getting an implementation up and running only to then have folks decide they don’t want to “support” it.

You will, it’s just a matter of time.

And I’ve never even had to do that, they’ve just worked on Ubuntu.

Maybe…probably…

But if I do I’ll just delete it and move on with my usual HA Container install and smile a haughty smile. :laughing:

Yeah, I think it’s because we are talking about different things - the Supervised Version and the Container Version.

the Supervisor automatically passes in the hardware to HA. I believe that is partly what makes it a “supervised version”.

If you run a container version (not supervised) then the hardware devices need to be passed in in the docker container config.

I was responding to the statement that “docker usually does make an app platform agnostic, but not when you want that app to access ZigBee sticks etc.”.

Which isn’t true.

there is no reason you need a supervised version to use USB devices in HA.

I’ve read it.

as a matter of fact I was pretty well involved in that thread.

If you go up to yesterdays posts, in the middle of all the sooking, I posted a command that will let you set HA to ignore the health check.
FWIW, I don’t see Debian + Supervised becoming unsupported.

From what I’ve read, they want to kill Supervised as well, but they put the decision on hold.

Why kill Supervised?

Did you also read this?

The decision to kill it was put on hold before being revoked. It was a resource issue. This is why only Debian is supported.

I had a similar issue and it turns out that mine was due to my VHD not having enough space. I increased the allowance and the update worked no problem. just adding my experience if it helps anyone.

It’s the one you can’t install because you’re in an “Unhealthy” state. This is lame.

1 Like