Can't access Home Assistant after power outage, IP changed and can't access remotely

Greetings, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 device where HA is hosted at. I used the official deployment guide from their site. It’s also connected directly to my ISP router with an ethernet cable.

HA had an IP to which I used duckdns for remote access.

This morning I had a power outage and my IP changed when the router booted back on.

Now I cannot access HA using the duckdns URL

Will I need to re-flash HA?

Definitely not. That wouldn’t even do anything here. In fact it may just keep it broken longer.

When your ip changes first thing that has to happen is something has to tell duckdns. Assuming you’re using either the DuckDNS addon or integration in HA that will happen very soon (if it hasn’t happened already).

The next thing that has to happen is all the DNS caches have to clear. DNS answers are cached a lot because they don’t change much and performance is critical. Right now they have one answer for your DuckDNS domain, they need to clear that and start answering with the new one.

This also happens pretty quick but isn’t instant. Also the slowest cache to clear is usually the one on your computer. You could probably help this a long by looking up how to clear the DNS cache on whatever OS you’re using to browse HA

Alternatively just use the local url for a bit and wait for all this to fix itself.

I tried using the local URL and nothing either:

When you say clear DNS cache, do you mean on my Windows computer?

I did yes although if the local url isn’t working then there’s a bigger issue.

First thing though, mdns doesn’t work on windows machines to my knowledge. Which means homeassistant.local doesn’t work.

If you used to get it that way then go ahead and use it. Perhaps something has changed recently, I don’t really use windows anymore so I wouldn’t know. But for windows machines you used to have to use homeassistant:8123 instead of homeassistant.local:8123. Or just use it’s ip address since that always works.

If the local url is also not working though then I would suggest connecting a monitor and keyboard to the machine. Then you can view the logs and see what is going on.

I can’t, it won’t let me. I use the official Raspberry Pi 4 installation from Home Assistant and using a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter it doesn’t show anything on the monitor.

According to a reply on this post in this forum, it’s not supported.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/no-hdmi-output/243706

I wonder if there is another way to change the IP