Can't add, remove, or change z-wave devices on 63.3

I just updated to 0.63.3, and now whenever i try to use the z-wave control panel to add, remove, or rename a device it doesn’t seem to do anything, and in home-assistant.log I see an error similar to:

2018-02-24 13:08:49 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Unable to find service zwave/remove_node
2018-02-24 13:09:44 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Unable to find service zwave/add_node_secure

Any ideas how to fix this?

I’m on an RPi 3 with an Aeon Labs Z-stick Z-wave controller, and everything was working fine before the latest update.

EDIT: It seems I figured it out, I wasn’t patient enough. Z-wave apparently takes a LOT longer to load than it used to (over 5 full minutes) and any time before that those commands aren’t available. Each time I failed to get one to work, I tried restarting HA, or rebooting, which in turn re started that 5+ minute timer. When I took time out of my frustration to write this post, it let it go long enough that z-wave fully started, and things started to work.

It would be better if the error message was more helpful (something along the lines of zwave service not yet started, please wait)

1 Like

Hence my apprehension to upgrade when everything is working nicely.

I’m still on 0.60.1

Until there is a new feature that I want, I’ll stay where I am :slight_smile:

There was a new feature I wanted. Mediaroom STB integration. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with my TV provider’s mediaroom boxes as it turns out. I also was looking for some bug fixes as I haven’t found HA quite as stable as I might like (my automations don’t always seem to actually work, but they don’t throw any errors)

Unfortunately the upgrade process broke half my existing stuff (despite none of them being impacted officially by "breaking changes), After 2 days of unplanned home automation tweaking, I’m mostly back to where I was before the upgrade. (Had to remove and re-add half my z-wave devices, many of which didn’t want to play nicely).

The best way of getting that to happen will be to raise an issue so that the developers are aware of it.

I’m in the habit of making a snapshot under the HASSIO menu before upgrading.
That way if things go pair shaped it’s pretty straight forward to get back to where I was.