Can't control zigbee devices from dashboard

Hello,

more and more often I have problems with my zigbee devices that I can’t control from HA itself, so from my dashboard or from an automation devices no longer turn off or on. the only solution is to go to zigbee2mqtt then do a manual refresh first and then I can turn off my lamp from zigbee2mqtt, for example. is this something you also experience and does anyone know what to do about it?

Try and read this good overview for stable zigbee networks, made by Hedda. Hedda, sorry not making a proper link to you, can not figure out on my iPad…

EDIT: Updated with a correct direct link to the original arcticle, as Im back on a PC

Cree Connected Bulbs occasionally lose connection to network - #2 by Hedda.

Hi,

Thanks for answer…

Here my setup: Dell Optiplex 3090 i5 with Proxmox.

On Proxmox the hassio.

On the computer a USB extension cable 3 meters with a Conbee || stick with latest firmware.

Zigbee2MQTT channel 11 and all my WiFi AP;s on channel 1, 6 and 9 and now neigbors.

But still problems i have restart my system many times… updates everything, but i looks like the refresh time is not oke in Zigbee/MQTT to HomeAssitant… here logs of my zigbee2mqtt:

Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:05:50: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Lampen woonkamer boekenkast’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138f708f9d052/1 genOnOff.on({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:54:54: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Led strip TV’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138efd4094e94/1 genOnOff.off({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:55:14: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Led strip TV’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138efd4094e94/1 genOnOff.on({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:55:54: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Nachtlampje Robbert’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c1380a214afbe7/1 genOnOff.on({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:55:54: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Nachtlampje Nanette’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c1384ac2ec0d37/1 genOnOff.on({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:55:54: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Lamp woonkamer links naast tv’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138f4ef80d753/1 genOnOff.off({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-28 22:55:54: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Lampen woonkamer boekenkast’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138f708f9d052/1 genOnOff.off({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-29 09:00:46: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Lampen woonkamer boekenkast’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138f708f9d052/1 genOnOff.off({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-06-29 10:08:01: Publish ‘set’ ‘state’ to ‘Lampen woonkamer boekenkast’ failed: ‘Error: Command 0xa4c138f708f9d052/1 genOnOff.off({}, {“sendWhen”:“immediate”,“timeout”:10000,“disableResponse”:false,“disableRecovery”:false,“disableDefaultResponse”:false,“direction”:0,“srcEndpoint”:null,“reservedBits”:0,“manufacturerCode”:null,“transactionSequenceNumber”:null,“writeUndiv”:false}) failed (no response received)’

Anybody options to test?

Looks strange, also the timing of the errors, like some random times it is not working?

Does this mean it works most of the time, and only sometimes fails? What is you make a zigbee map in the web front end of Z2M? Does this work?

I have had this on some devices myself too. As @khvej8 has mentioned this quite often points to a poor mesh network. It is the case for me as I have some physical obstacles, brick walls & metal j-boxes, for some of my ZigBee devices which I’ve seen cause this. A complete reboot of my HA system resolved some issues I was seeing but I know that I need to add some more routers and take a look at my WiFI channels. Even with the WiFi & ZigBee network changes you made I’d take a look at your map I Z2M to determine what your ZigBee mesh network really looks like.

I’ll be curious what you find in your case as I continue to work on my ZigBee setup.

Thanks @khvej8 for posting those links!

Hi,

it does indeed work differently, it is also a different device each time that does not work / transmits status. especially with motions sensors that, for example, “hang” in motion.

Create a network folder from Z2M does not want to then it will continue to load for too long.

Now also strange…

temprature sensor in Zigbee2MQTT i have a value 24C, but no value in HomeAssistant status or as device in Mosquitto broker there are state: None

Not sure what you mean by this?

Your Zigbee network consists how what kind of devices? Coordinator/Mains/End-devices

Sorry,

I have total 39 devices.
1 x Coordinator (Conbee II)
23 x Router
16 x End-device

But if i click on map in Zigbee2MQTT they doens’t load…

Then something is wrong, it should load after some time. I have 87 devices and it loads in less than 2 min.

Lets start with wi-fi. You are on channel 1,6,9 as I read it, right?

Zigbee channel 11 has a full overlap with wifi channel 1. They will interfere with each other. I actually use wifi channel 13, 9, 6. Will it be easy to change wifi channel?

Do you have a good long USB extender cable? Like 2m and having the Conbee fare from both computers/access points?

Hi Khvej8,

Oke yes that is right, i have now changed my Access Point from 1 to channel 13…

Yes i have a 3 meter usb extender cable… and from computer and access points.

I will let you know this afternoon if it helps the channel change.

FYI, I have summarized my tips here:

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/wiki/Generic-best-practice-tips-on-improving-Zigbee-network-range-and-general-stability

Still waiting for ZHA docs PR review:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864

Thanks both!! i wil read this!

Wow, yeah, I am small potatoes. I only have 14 devices. 1 x Coordinator (ZigBee Pi Hat w/ external antenna), 7 x Mains/Routers, 6 End Devices. I will be adding 2 more Mains/Router devices & 2 End Devices into the network when they arrive next month. I’m trying to keep a good number and balance of Mains/Router devices in my network. I need to take a good look at my ZigBee & WiFi channel selection though. I’m a bit stuck with WiFi frequency availability because I live in a somewhat densely populated area with a lot of neighbors with WiFi. I feel like I need to surround my house with tinfoil to keep out all the noise.

@khvej8 thanks for that clarification of the ZigBee channel 11 & WiFi channel 1 overlap. I think I may have that problem right now.

Update: so yeah this is what I’m up against with my WiFi. Channel 1 is my WiFi and all the rest of covered by my neighbors.

So it looks like I really have to rebuild my ZigBee network on another channel?

Try and have a look at this map. Remember that zigbee networks are weak compared to wifi, hence they will loose out. Personally I would try and move the wifi first, and see if your wifi will get hurt. It might not, due to the way wifi works, hard to tell.
However, the zigbee network will get influenced by moving into the crowed bands fra ch4-ch13.

2 Likes

Here is my network folder, i see almost every end device not connected?

I have read this document. thank you.

the only thing i don’t have is a usb 2.0 port on the pc there are only usb 3.0 ports. (in proxmox, usb 3 wants to be switched off.) and I don’t have zigbee repeaters, maybe I should put some of those above. your experience with a good one? Ikea’s is sold out I think.

Your mesh looks ok from the map. Most mains are directly connected to the coordinator, and a lot of them can see each other. So, the mesh should be stable.
Do you have problems with any of the mains, or only the end devices?
Have you enabled the availability feature, in Z2M settings, availability. If yes, try and remove it and restart Z2M. This one will use some standard timers, and a lot of end devices report less seldom.

Hi,

Yes also problems with main devices, i have replace now again the coordinator from place in the house en i will try again now…

for the aavailability settings i have:

availability_blocklist: []
availability_passlist: []