Can't create basic notify automation

Hi,

Running Hass.IO 0.113.3

Trying to create my first automation which is a notification to tell me if my wife leaves home for example. Both her phone and my phone have the hass.io app installed and the service notify.mobile_app_xxx appears in the call service drop down.

I started the automation building by clicking on my device and choosing one of the p
default options to start building the automation

However, when I try to save it, I get this message

Message malformed: Integration ‘’ not found

What am I doing wrong. I can’t figure it out.

BTW, if I use developer tools, I can call the service notify.mobile_app_xxx and I get the notification on my phone

So I was being silly. Two days of fighting before I gave up and then created a Hass.IO forum account and 2 minutes later , I solve it.

The default automation that is created, includes a trigger. Being a newbie, I didn’t know I had to delete it. Messing around with looking at the automation as YAML deleted the trigger and then the automation was saved.

Cheers

Bear in mind that if you’ve deleted the trigger, your automation will never run. You may want to remove your condition instead, and create a trigger to run the automation when your wife’s phone’s device state changes from home to not home.

Ah gotcha. Ok, I am being absolutely dense. I can’t figure it out. I create a trigger but there is no other option of home/not home

If I choose state, what does one enter for
I can choose State for trigger

platform: state
entity_id: device_tracker.dnipx

What do I enter for the From To fields.

I can’t believe I am having so much difficulty with what should be a simple automation. I think this is above my pay grade :grimacing:

Using state, you want to check for a change from “home” to “away”, like this:

platform: state
entity_id: device_tracker.lgus997
to: away

You can find these states by looking in Developer Tools -> States, which will show the current state for each entity, and you can see historical states in the Logbook.

You may find it useful to have a read of the automation tutorial, here: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/automation/