I finally tried to update (again) from 2026.5.4 to 2026.9.3. I’m likely going back because the entire instance keeps going into a death spiral that’s hard to diagnose and needs a reboot to clear. But in the meantime, I’m having a weird time with automations. I went to edit an automation and it had an icon that said the device was replace. OK, so I was able to click the icon and it updated the device. The problem is I can’t edit the actual conditions. If I click on the conditions the editor shows a blank area where the automation editor should be. And the same holds true if I try to edit in YAML.
I looked at the traces and it is running but something seems to have happened here that makes the editor fail.
Uploading a picture of what I see currently in the editor after updating the device. If I don’t update the device I see the same condition editing failure.
Is there a way to fix this?
Will it boot in safe mode?
If so make a backup and save a copy of your current automations.yaml files where it is available later.
Then disable or remove any automations you have edited since the last reboot that worked and see if one of those are bad syntax.
OIther troubleshooting advice: The Home Assistant Cookbook - Index
It boots fine, I just can’t edit the automations. It seems to be confined to the conditions section as the trigger and actions are editable.
I have looked and, while it will update the IDs in the trigger section, the IDs that have replaced devices in the conditions do not get updated.
I’m still trying to sort out why all the IDs changed and have replacement IDs and, if they did, why the old ones still seem to work. This whole thing is baffling at some level. It’s also beyond me why it’s showing me the device and entity ids (the long numerical ones) while those aren’t available in the UI anywhere so I’m not sure how to even judge what’s there.
I haven’t messed with automations in anything after 2026.5.4 since I was stuck there (and may be going back) but I have to say the whole experience of automations now seems not better than it was and, probably, a lot worse. Too bad.
If I don’t go back to 5.4 I’ll probably have to recreate all my automations from scratch. This all seems so completely pointless.