Can't find Appdaemon directory, Windows installation

I have installed homeassistant for my brother in law on his windows server.
He alos want to run HADashboard so i installed appdaemon by using pip3 install appdaemon.
The installation works fine with no errors but the appdaemon-folder does not show up in .homeassistant-directory
like an installation on ubuntu-server.

Does anyone know how to work this out?

Hi - this is due to a change in the install process - the README should take you through it step by step - it describes creating a directory etc.

Im sorry but I cant find anything about creating any folders.

I am just finding this when it comes to windows, in the readme-file.

Windows Support

AppDaemon runs under windows and has been tested with the official 3.5.2 release. There are a couple of caveats however:

The -d or --daemonize option is not supported owing to limitations in the Windows implementation of Python.
Some internal diagnostics are disabled. This is not user visible but may hamper troubleshooting of internal issues if any crop up
AppDaemon can be installed exactly as per the instructions for every other version using pip3.

Windows Under the Linux Subsystem

Windows 10 now supports a full Linux bash environment that is capable of running Python. This is essentially an Ubuntu distribution and works extremely well. It is possible to run AppDaemon in exactly the same way as for Linux distributions, and none of the above Windows Caveats apply to this version. This is the reccomended way to run AppDaemon in a Windows 10 and later environment.

It’s near the top:

Configuration

When you have appdaemon installed by either method you are ready to start working on the appdaemon.yaml file. For docker users, you will already have a skeleton to work with. For pip users, you need to create a configuration directory somewhere (e.g. /home/homeassistant/conf) and create a file in there called appdaemon.yaml.

Found ut :wink:

But when i try to run appdaemon i get this message.

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming.homeassistant>appdaemon -c /conf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\users\administrator\appdata\local\programs\python\python35\lib\runpy.py”, line 184, in _run_module_as_main"main", mod_spec)
File “c:\users\administrator\appdata\local\programs\python\python35\lib\runpy.py”, line 85, in run_codeexec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35\Scripts\appdaemon.exe_main
.py", line 9, in
File “c:\users\administrator\appdata\local\programs\python\python35\lib\site-packages\appdaemon\appdaemon.py”, line 1532, in mainconfig.read_file(open(config_file_conf))
TypeError: invalid file: None

What is your command line and what file name are you using and can you post the config file please

I created the conf folder then i created the appdaemon.yaml.
I copied the folders that are inside the conf-folder from the appdaemin github.

In the appdaemon it looks like this:

AppDaemon:
  logfile: STDOUT
  errorfile: STDERR
  threads: 10
HASS:
  ha_url: http://192.168.146:8123
  ha_key:
HADashboard:  
  dash_url: http://192.168.1.146:5050
  dash_force_compile: 1

/conf is not a valid windows path.

This seems to be missing a .1

@gpbenton yeah i notised that so it’s corrected.

@aimc I wrote out the hole string. Now it works.
appdaemon -c C:\user\admin\appdata\roaming.homeassistant\conf

1 Like

I am sorry , OOT , i want to ask, i already install appdaemon in windows 10, using python3, buat after i want to running, the appdaemon won’t. Anybody solve this problem ?
i use command like this : C:\Users\Dion>python appdaemon -c C:\user\admin\appdata\roaming.homeassistant\conf
python: can’t open file ‘appdaemon’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Running from the command line is described here
https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/INSTALL.html#run-appdaemon-from-the-command-line

I don’t know if that works on windows, but your line is different.

@gpbenton - correct that particular command line will work if you have cloned the repository.

However, the current version of AD has problems on Windows due to a missing module - there will be a fix in the next version.

I reccomend though that rather than running dircetly under windows you use the windows 10 linux subsystem to run it.