Can't get generic thermostat to work at all

So i’m pretty new to this so i really have a beginner skill for understanding YAML. So here it goes.

So I have a Leviton WiFi switch that controls a relay that operates a baseboard heater in a breezeway. The temperature sensor i have is a Shelly WiFi. I watched a few youtube videos on how to type in the “code” in YAML.

this is what i typed in

Then i go and restart the core wait for it to restart it

Then i go to the overview and try to add a card, type in thermostat, and the drop down under entity doesn’t have anything available to pick from.

There’s a typo in initail_hvac_mode. It should be initial_hvac_mode.

Why have you not defined the climate entity in configuration.yaml?

Home Assistant won’t load the contents of /config/climate/generic_thermostat.yaml unless you have instructed it to do that (by using an !include directive in configuration.yaml). I suspect you haven’t done that so the entity you have defined is effectively invisible to Home Assistant (and explains why you can’t find it as a choice in the Thermostat card).

Thanks for the typo catch.

Regarding the climate entity, I didn’t know that was a thing actually. The video i watched didn’t even talk about that. Would you be able to point me in the direction on how to do that? Also if it is something i need to do with Github; I don’t know how to integrate that with Home Assistant. Thanks for the help so far

1. Copy what you have in that file and paste it into configuration.yaml.
  2. Execute Configuration > Server Controls > Check Configuration and ensure it reports that no errors were found. Fix any errors before proceeding to the next step.
  3. Restart Home Assistant.

Thank you so much!! worked like a charm!

You’re welcome!

Please consider marking my post above with the Solution tag. It will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to other users that this topic has been resolved. This helps users find answers to similar questions. For more information refer to guideline 21 in the FAQ.