Can't get generic thermostat to work. Is it possible my Config.yaml isn't getting read?

First off, let me say I am still very much a newbie to HA. I bought a RPi4 a month ago and have been getting this going since then.

I am trying to get the generic thermostat to control a space heater in a bedroom, but I can’t get it to work. I have built two automations that turn the heater on an off so I know those components work. I added this code to my configuration.yaml, but when I go to add the thermostat card, it doesn’t show up as a choice. If I try to edit manually it still doesn’t work. Any ideas?

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: bedroom
    heater: switch.16203066c82b96c2df9e
    target_sensor: sensor.kids_room_temperature
    min_temp: 50
    max_temp: 80
    initial_hvac_mode: "off"

Speaking of the configuration.yaml, I have yet to get any integrations working by trying to configure it there. The UI works great, but I have never successfully gotten any working by modifying the configuration.yaml. Is it possible that file isn’t being read? Is there a “Hello World!” type of code I could put in there just to confirm it works?

Did you restart after adfing the config to condiguration.yaml?

I did indeed. Tried both reload and restart.

Any Errors under Configuration -> Logs?

Do you see an entity climate.bedroom under Developer Tools -> States?

That entity does not appear under Developer Tools -> States.

No errors specifically related to that. There are some from other integrations, but they are from days ago and don’t appear to be related. There is this one that I can’t figure out. I’ve seen it before but don’t know what it is.

Logger: homeassistant.components.hassio.http
Source: components/hassio/http.py:126
Integration: Hass.io (documentation, issues)
First occurred: January 12, 2021, 6:20:10 AM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:07:56 AM

• Client error on api supervisor/reload request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:default [Connect call failed (‘172.30.32.2’, 80)]
  • Client error on api app/frontend_latest/chunk.4458b10ab597e137f420.js request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:default [Connect call failed (‘172.30.32.2’, 80)]
  • Client error on api addons request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:default [Connect call failed (‘172.30.32.2’, 80)]

Can you please show your whole configuration.yaml file, with sensitive data redacted.

Sure, there’s not much more to it.

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

cloud:

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

# Garage Door

cover:
  - platform: myq
    username: redacted
    password: redacted
# MQTT
mqtt:
  broker: IP redacted

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: bedroom
    heater: switch.16203066c82b96c2df9e
    target_sensor: sensor.kids_room_temperature
    min_temp: 50
    max_temp: 80
    initial_hvac_mode: "off"

I tried restarting the server from the Configuration -> Server Controls and now it works! I had been restarting Supervisor from the Supervisor -> System page. I had also tried rebooting the Host System from that page as well, but I guess I was in the wrong place. Thank you so much for your help!