Can't get HAOS to boot

I’ve been struggling to get HAOS to install for a couple of days now.

I’m trying to install it on a (very) old intel D2550MUD2 ITX system, 1.86GHz dual core Atom CPU, 8GB RAM and a 120Gb SSD. Windows 10 installs and works fine on it, if a little slowly.

However, after copying the disk image to the SSD and rebooting, I get an error:

Booting ‘Slot A (OK=1 TRY=1)’
Error: Cannot Load image
Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.
Press any key to continue…

I’m starting to think this PC is just too old for the job.

Does the PC support UEFI?

According that post it is possible but requires some tinkering

It’s a bit of an odd BIOS.

Windows 10 happily boots from a GPT partitioned drive, as does Ubuntu from a GPT USB pen, and yes it is UEFI. However, due to its age (I think) it doesn’t support secure boot.

OK, I decided to put Ubuntu on the SSD and then install HA Core.

Everything went fine with the Ubuntu install until right at the end when it crashed. The install log complained about not being able to set various UEFI variables. However, once the machine rebooted Ubuntu works fine.

So I’m putting this down to an early/incomplete/buggy UEFI BIOS.

The issue with D2550 is known, see also this issue: GRUB failing to load kernel on Intel Atom boards (Intel NM10 chipset) · Issue #3305 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub. It will be resolved with Home Assistant OS 13.1 (you can download the 13.1.rc1 already today from Release Home Assistant OS 13.1.rc1 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub. You’ll be able to upgrade to the stable version safely once it is out.