Cant get Nut to connect to my server

I installed NUT into my OMV machine, and have it working and configured as a server.
I have HA as a VM in the OMV machine, I installed the plugin configured it like this:

- username: ha
  password: Ha
  instcmds:
    - all
  actions: []
- name: myups
  driver: usbhid-ups
  port: auto
  config: []

mode netclient
remote ups name the same as the one in OMV
remote ups host the IP from the OMV machine
remote ups password password in OMV
remote ups user the same as in OMV

In the network section at the bottom I added the port 3493, the same as OMV.

When I start the addon it throws [D1] Trying to connect to UPS and connect failed: Connection failure: No route to host
When I try in the integration part of HA I get an error and it doesnt connect.
In HA logs I get Failure getting NUT ups alias, Socket error.

Dont really know how to fix this, anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Your post is not completely clear, but if you already have a NUT server, you don’t need the addon, which is doing exactly that.
You now just have to configure the integration to point to your server

As a reminder, you have:

• Addons: a server software running as a docker container inside a HA OS or HA Supervised installation. E.g Mysql, Duckdns, NUT server, …
  • Integrations: an HA python component enabling communication between HA and the external world. E.g. Integrations - Home Assistant
  • Custom component: a non-official integration; Is usually installed through HACS (https://hacs.xyz/)

There is no notion of “plugin” in the HA ecosystem.

Thanks for the answer.
Tried the integration and it throws failed to connect and in logs it shows Failure getting NUT ups alias, Socket error.
Tried also uninstalling the addon as well and its the same error.
Dont really evaen know how to test tao see where the problem is.

Its a netserver on the omv machine and I want it to comunnicate with HA which is in a vm on that same machime.

Please if theres any info I forgot to add please tell me.

Thanks

Can you ping the NUT server IP from HA?

I searched how to ping and added to configuration.yaml

binary_sensor:
    - platform: ping
      host: my nut server ip, no port or anything 192.168.0.xx
      scan_interval: 60

Added the sensor to the dashboard and it says disconnected and hasnt changed from that. So likely it cant communicate with the server.
How would I go troubleshooting this?

Thanks

I’d just add the SSH add-on and try pinging from the terminal.

Did just that, was a lot easier than adding a sensor and more useful.
I cant ping the pc running the vm with ha, it just hangs there waiting, I can ping google though.

Does OMV do network bridging? Meaning the VMs get their IP from your regular DHCP server (presumably your router)?

I believe so, the ip from both is 192.168.0.xx when checked from ifconfig or ip addr, both appear normally in the router as separate machines. Also the OMV machine is running kvm as the vm thingy, its set to bridge mode

Also just checked from another computer, not the server with omv and the HA vm, I can ping both omv and HA.

Ok so this was the problem and how I fixed it if anyone has a similar problem.
I didnt have the network interface as bridge, only the vm one and that didnt work.
So followed this guide omv6:omv6_plugins:kvm [omv-extras.org] and after a reboot I had the bridge network interface working.
Went back to the vms, removed old networks and added a bridge network with the new device name.
Waited a couple minutes and HA came back online and could ping with no problem, could also finally add the nut integration to HA, just have to find out how to create a new sensor that calculates power usage from the ups with the load% and nominal power.

Thanks for the help

1 Like

I solved it by adding the IP to /etc/nut/upsd.conf

LISTEN localhost 3493
LISTEN 192.168.0.50 3493I added my ip address

Home Assistant OS 2024.3.1 Supervisor in Proxmox VM 8.1.4

1 Like

How do you do it through the yaml configuration of the addon?
I want it to listen on 0.0.0.0 as I have a remote client on Windows that I also want it connected.
I know I can get into the docker conatiner and make the changes but that will disappear on next update, and I don’t want to play with it on every update.

config:
    - LISTEN 0.0.0.0 3493

this seems to make the config changes

0.000429	[D1] debug level is '1'
   0.000632	listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493

however the remote client still cannot connect
that’s probably because the container port is not exposed.

Got it working by adding.

1 Like