Cant get RGB to set via an automation triggered by MQTT

- id: ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1_light_color
  alias: ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1_light_color
  initial_state: 'off'
  trigger:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: "/HAwirelesslink/return/light/ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1/rgb_color"
  action:
  - data_template: 
      entity_id: >
        light.ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1
      rgb_color: >
        {{ trigger.payload | list }}
    service:
      light.turn_on

I am trying to get an RGB bulb to set its color based on an MQTT message formatted 255, 255, 255 and I cannot for the life of me get it to accept it. Above is what I ended with before deciding I needed some help, the automation triggers fine, but it throws the error below. I think there is something I am just missing in the formatting of it all, but this is my first go at lists and RGB so I am a little in the weeds. Thanks for any help!

Error while executing automation automation.ledvance_a19_rgbw_00061a28_1_light_color. Invalid data for call_service at pos 1: None for dictionary value @ data['rgb_color']

Put this into the Template Editor and see if it produces the result you were expecting:

{{ '255, 255, 255' | list }}
{% set rgb = 255,255,255 %}

{{ rgb | list }}

but it looks like with a string, it is not what I want. Any thoughts on how to get the trigger.payload formatted correctly?

Try this:

trigger:
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data_template: 
      entity_id: light.ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1
      rgb_color: >
        {% set rgb = trigger.payload.split(',') %}
        - {{rgb[0]}}
        - {{rgb[1]}}
        - {{rgb[2]}}

I’m pretty sure that won’t work either. The problem is the value for rgb_color is a template (one, big, multi-line template), and a template will output one string. The string will contain end of line characters and dashes, but that won’t make it a list, because that is YAML, and the YAML parsing happened a long time before when the file was originally parsed.

See PR #25065. Unfortunately it was ignored.

However, what might work is this:

trigger:
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data_template: 
      entity_id: light.ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1
      rgb_color:
        - "{{trigger.payload.split(',')[0]}}"
        - "{{trigger.payload.split(',')[1]}}"
        - "{{trigger.payload.split(',')[2]}}"

Nutz! I think I now understand the principle correctly. You create the list’s “framework” in YAML:

rgb_color:
  -
  -
  -

and restrict Jinja2’s templates to generating the content of each item in the list:

rgb_color:
  - "{{ }}"
  - "{{ }}"
  - "{{ }}"

So the scope of the templating is restricted to creating strings for each list item. Any expansion of this scope and then the whole result becomes a string (with only the appearance of being a list).

EDIT
So what’s the accepted etiquette for ‘bumping’ a long-overlooked PR? Because that one would definitely help alleviate this very common struggle with setting rgb_color.

I don’t really know. I have seen people ask on discord to have their PR’s looked at, but I try to avoid doing that myself. Besides, this one has sat around long enough that it has to be re-done to be merge-able again. Same goes for the doc PR that goes with it. And I didn’t want to do the work, only for it to sit and be ignored again (which, I think, I’ve already done once, so I should have said I don’t want to do the work again.)

Thanks for all the help, I got it working but needed to change the RGB string to hex on the MQTT side, and ended up with the code below. Input is now in the form “RRGGBB”

trigger:
  action:
  - data_template:
      entity_id:  light.ledvance_a19_rgbw_00060a5e_1
      rgb_color:
        - "{{ trigger.payload[:2] | int(0,16) }}"
        - "{{ trigger.payload[2:2] | int(0,16) }}"
        - "{{ trigger.payload[-2:] | int(0,16) }}"
    service:
      light.turn_on
1 Like