Can't get Zigbee (Z2MQTT) to work

I’m a new HASS user, trying to get it all to work. I’m running on a Raspberry Pi4, and I’ve got a Z-Wave stick that’s working fine.

I can’t get Zigbee working. I’m using a slae.sh cc2652rb stick and running Mosquitto broker. ZHA seems to fail every time, but I’m not overly concerned with that. I have an Aqara button and 2 outdoor Hue PAR38 bulbs and I’d like to get them all working with Home Assistant.

Z2MQTT added the button and the lights, and all 3 devices show up in Mosquitto. However, I cannot get anything to happen when I press the button. I’ve tried it in a few very simple automations, such as to turn the Hue lights on, or to open my garage door which I have working with Garadget. No joy. I don’t even know how to see if the button press is being registered by Home Assistant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’m totally stuck.

Download MQTT Explorer, connect to the MQTT broker and watch the Zigbee topic. press the button and watch for the changes in the MQTT explorer. You can then create automations that react to that specific payload.

You should also see an action and/or click entity for the button in home assistant which you can use in a state trigger.

Example trigger

Well now I’ve messed it up even further. No idea what I did in MQTT Explorer, but now the device card I have on my home screen says:

Entity not available: sensor.aqara_button_1_action
Entity not available: sensor.aqara_button_1_click
Entity not available: sensor.aqara_button_1_linkquality
Entity not available: sensor.aqara_button_1_votage

I deleted the button from Zigbee2MQTT and am attempting to re-add it, but without success. Honestly, I’m at my wit’s end, been fighting with this for a week. I’m not sure if I should try to find someone local to the Bay Area to pay to come help me get this working, or give it all up and go with something awful like smartthings.

The absolute worst thing you could have done would be to accidentally delete something in the topic list in MQTT Explorer. But don’t worry, just restart Zigbee2MQTT and it will republish whatever you deleted.

Be patient, after couple of trials, you will feel much more comfortable. Initial onboarding takes a bit time and energy