Can't include z-wave sensors from old Fibaro configuration

Dear all,

I’ve read the relatef posts in the forum and haven’t found a solution for my case, that’s why I open this topic. If I missed one, I’m sorry and let me know.

I still have a domotic infrastucture with Fibaro z-wave sensors and actuators configured with a Fibaro HC2 server. It works well since years, but it’s more complicated to manage and less open than Home assistant.
That’s why I’ve installed the lastest version of Home Assistant in a VM on my Synology NAS (on Virtual Machine Manager):

Synology: DS923+
Home Assistant version:

I’ve configured a z-wave dongle with en extender USB Cable, as mentionned in several posts, the dongle is an Aeotec USB ctrl Z-Stick7. The z-wave dongle is correctly seen by Home assistant:

On the Home assistant, it wasn’t clear how to configure z-wave JS and z-wave JS UI and finally I think I’ve understand how to proceed, now I’ve only configured the z-wave JS UI add-on and configured the z-wave device in order to connect to it.

With this configuration, after several attempts, I managed to include Z-Wave equipment as well as new fibaro sensors.

This works, even after a reboot of the VM, I’m quit happy with this. This indicates me that the z-wave dongle works well too. But, now I’m blocked in the inclusion of all my fibaro existing sensors in this news setip. I’ve tried to reset them, to include them (single swithces, door sensors, flood sensor) without success. I can’t include them, the home assistant configuration can’t detect them and I don’t see what I’m soing wrong.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks for your help on this, because at this stage, I’ve two domotic system and I’m blocked.

Best regards, Thierry

I’ve had no trouble including all kinds of Fibaro stuff. But I do use a gen 5 stick, the 7 was said to have more problems when I bought it.

Recently I noticed two ways of starting the inclusion process, one that just started and one that asked me the security level I preferred first. Which one did you use?

Fibaro only offers S0 security on many devices, which is known for many problems. The devices you included are unsecure, which is what I would advise. If you use automatic security level selection, it is bound to try S0, which requires close proximity at inclusion time and has a very high risk of transmission errors due to the encryption requiring a lot of processing power while yielding way more data to transmit and receive.

One other thing that may be a problem: have you tried turning of the fibaro controller temporarily while including another device? I would not be surprised if the Fibaro controller sees it too, it will try to communicate with it also and frustrate the pairing process. But then again, the other controller being missing might also lead to its mesh trying to find it, leading to different interference. Two separate z-wave meshes should be possible, but you never know.

Also make sure the device you are migrating to the other mesh is properly excluded ftom the Fibaro controller. Still recognising the ID might be what propts the old controller to interfere.

Hi, thanks for your reply. In my tests of inclusion I’ve tests all the possibilities, S2, S1, S0 and of course without security, same results, nothing in the log (debug mode), nothing happen.

Thanks for this idea, I’ve deleted the fibaro sensors from the Fibaro console, But I Haven’t tried with the fibaro controller down, I will try and let you know.

You say you use an extender cable. I’ve seen active USB3 extender cables - make sure you’re not using one of those - they may also extend the interference. Also use an USB2 port if you can.

Hi Edwin, thanks for this point. It’s a passive USB2 extender cable I use.

Hello. Did you find a solution?