Can't install add-ons / Hass.io missing from sidebar

Hi,

I just installed HomeAssistant on my QNAP TS-563 inside a Docker Container. Followed the installation procedure found here for a QNAP NAS : https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

The issue I am having is, after installation, I do not have the HASS.IO entry on the side bar. There is no place where I can actually install ADD-ONs and I have looked everywhere. I have the latest stable version, Home Assistant 0.112.4.

Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

Thanks

You only get add-ons with the supervisor which is not installed with the method you chose.

OK, surely it is possible to add that in the docker installation. How do I get it installed? What do I need to do?

The Supervisor is not an add-on. You need to install HomeAssistant OS or Home Assistant Supervised as per this document https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/05/26/installation-methods-and-community-guides-wiki/

I see. So Supervisor is stripped from the docker image. I wonder why they would do that?

Anyways, so my only option is to install a VM

Supervisor is not stripped from the docker image. A supervised installation installs a number of extra docker containers next to the HA container.

I see, I guess I used the core one only. Which image on docker hub should I use?

The supervisor manages all the add-ons in their own docker container including home assistant. Installing HA in docker on your QNAP (or any machine for that matter) makes you the manager/supervisor. You will have to install and configure and manage all of the add-ons yourself via docker.

If you want the supervisor and the add-on store, you will have to install HA Supervised on supported hardware such as an RPi.

I see. So what you are saying is, I will have to manually install everything through the configuration.yaml file? If I am wrong how exactly do we proceed to add addons ? Is there a page explaining all that in details?

If I really need / want supervised, I guess my only option is to create myself a Linux VM (Ubuntu or whatever) and install the Home Assistant image correct?

Add-ons are in docker containers. You can start up your own docker containers with these. For example the OpenZWave add-on. However, in your current setup, you are responsible for configuring both the add-on container to work with your hardware and to configure it within HA so the two will talk. This requires knowledge of your hardware and its OS, the Docker program (GUI or command line), and how your HA installation is configured.

If you want someone/something else to manage the setup configuration and updating of the add-on container then you need to install HA supervised on supported hardware.

I’m not sure I follow 100%. I guess I don’t know enough about Home Assistant to understand 100% how it works.Right now, I have 1 docker container that is running the CORE. What you are saying I guess is “ADDONS” are extra containers that are added to communicate with the CORE? So that would be the caveat of installing HomeAssistant in a docker container.

I don’t want to install Home Assistant on a RasbPI (hardware). I prefer running everything on my server as a VM or in a Docker Container. So if I go with a VM (RaspPI VM, or Linux), then I will get supervised mode.

Correct. You currently are running HA Docker which is basically HA Core but in a docker container. Add-ons are other docker containers. You configure all containers to talk to HA then configure the integration for that add-on with HA. Supervisor is a program that runs at a “higher level” to manage all of these containers including the HA container and the configuration of them and the integration. But the supervisor is only available if you install HA Supervised.

I don’t know much about HA Supervised install methods so you’ll have to read the install guides or the community guides.

Thank you! That makes it a whole lot clearer for me now. I guess I better bite the bullet and do it manually. Seems to be better if I want to move this to another system eventually.

I didn’t really want run a full Linux VM to install HA Supervised on my QNAP NAS which would require a lot more resources. Running everything in docker containers is very efficient but adding a VM to run another “HA Supervised” environment would just kill it.

I’m not sure that it is.

You already have an OS of some kind in a VM on your server on which you are already running Docker which already contains a running HA Core Docker container .

So adding HA Supervised would literally be just like adding another set of Docker containers to your already existing VM OS.

I currently do that right now on my NUC.

I have one container for running HA Core which is my production HA system. I also have two other test HA Core systems running in containers in Docker. And I have a fourth installation of HA Supervised (with the additional containers that entails) running in the same OS in the same Docker environment. Yes, I have 4 independent HA installations running (two of which I turn off if not actively using them for testing purposes.

Not to mention all of the other containers I have running in Docker and the Kodi media server I have running outside of Docker.

My CPU usually runs around 30% load with spikes up to 50% occasionally.

My point is that you should be fine adding HA Supervised to your existing Docker environment with no issues. Once you have that configured and running you can easily just blow away your existing Core install. Or just keep it around for testing/playing.

What is the procedure for doing that? I have not seen anything in Docker Hub that works under my QNAP NAP Container system. Could you explain your installation process and your setup? I am not running under a VM, I am running under my QNAP system using Container Station.

Oops, my bad.

I didn’t realize that you were on Container Station. I thought you were running a VM with regular Docker.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about Container Station (obviously… :smile:)

Still…if you really want the add-ons then it shouldn’t be tool resource intensive to load up a VM with HassOS on it. I mean, it runs fine on a Pi which isn’t known for being a workhorse of a machine… :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm maybe I’ll try to run HassOS as a VM then and see how that goes.

I have installed a VM with the image (hassos_ova-4.11.vdi) and it worked great! Now I have the Supervisor module installed. Doing that inside QNAP’s Virtualization Station.

1 Like