Can't install HAOS on HP Prodesk 600 G6 Mini

Hi All, I’m new to this forum and also to Home assistant.

I followed method 2 as described here:

and had no problems in installing HAOS on a HP Prodesk 400 G5 Mini i5-9500T, a couple of weeks ago.

Today, I got my hands on a HP Prodesk 600 G6 Mini i5-10500T, and I thought it would be better to use this machine for HAOS, so I followed the same process as above, and when I went to start the pc up, it would hang after a bout a page of scripts, and just wait and wait.,

I thought hmm, thats no good, so I tried to do a bit of troubleshooting. I pulled out the ssd out of the G6, and placed it in the older G5, and it booted no problem. I did the same with the working HAOS from the older G5 pc, and placed the ssd in the newer G6 mini, and the same thing happened - it would stop after about a page of scripting (mind you the script wasnt the same as the one when HAOS would boot successfully).

The only thing I could attribute this issue to is probably having something to do with the secure boot in the BIOS. I noticed that the BIOS in the G6 is slightly different in the newer machine, and only gives a tick option to select or deselect the secure boot option, however, unlike the older G5 mini, when you deselect secure boot, it also gives an option enable or disable legacy boot options. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what they’ve done to resolve it. Or if anyone else can chime in with a suggestion, then that would be great, as I’ve just spent the last couples of hours trying to troubleshoot this issue without any success.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m not too familiar with the specs on this, have you considered installing a hypervisor on it instead of bare metal? It’s likely overkill for running HA only. Plus you get other nice features like snapshots and so on. Many use Proxmox for this purpose.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I can try that, but I want to figure out why I cant get HAOS going on the G6 mini. In the end, I’d just like to install it bare, as suggested in the link above, but I don’t know what is preventing it from running properly and I think it has something to do with the secure boot settings in the BIOS.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

One thing i know, you shouldn’t run 2 Devices on an IP-network, with same Host-Name, natural conflict situation
EDIT: You have 1 Homeassistant:8123 running, and then you run a script on another Device, telling it’s name is Homeassistant, contact me on port :8123 …ehhh

No, I’m not trying to run both at the same time, I disconnect the g5 when I startup the G6. As I mentioned before I think it has something to do with the secure boot, but I can’t figure it out.

Both your G5 and G6 should have option to enable/disable secureboot and enable/disable legacy/compatibility support.
This can be combined in one option or split out on two options.
What is important is that you choose to disable secureboot and disable legacy support, which means the server will run in UEFI mode with no BIOS support.

Your machine is quite overpowered to just run HA, so a hypervisor, like Proxmox, is a good idea, so you can run other virtual machines next to HAOS and use that power to its full potential.

Thanks, I think you may have identified part of the problem - there is no option to disable legacy support? I can only see an option to uncheck secure boot, and when I do that and click on save changes and yes, then it asks me for a 4 digit code that I enter in and the OC then restarts - but to no avail:(

Please post a picture of your bios screen

I think I figured it out. I needed to disable the intel optane setting in the BIOS and then it all started up perfectly.
Thanks everyone for trying to help with this issue.

1 Like