Can't install on a mac after attempts on two rpi 3b and a rpi 4

I really want to get hassio working on my network, and I started by purchasing a Canakit raspberry pi 4 for the project. I formatted a microSD card and used etcher to copy the hassio image to it. I have a spare monitor so I connected it to the pi along with an ethernet cable and after about 2min of scrolling I see the screen freeze on power management and the wlan not working (I’d rather stick with eth0). I’ve waited 30min, and even overnight, and nothing comes up in a browser on the IP on port 8123.

I’ve since tried it on another canakit pi 3b, I even bought another pi 3 from another company to make sure it wasn’t the canakit configurations. I’ve tried three different microSD cards, one 64Gb, and two 32Gb ones to make sure everything was formatted as FAT32.

Nothing so far has worked. I see a bunch of green output initially, but then I see a bunch of DENIED mkdir commands around python3, and then I see a stream of weird errors. I’ve tried this on three pi devices, using both the 32 and 64 bit images of hassio, all burned with etcher on disks formated with SD Card Formatter.

I feel like I’ve covered all my bases, about the only other thing I’d like to test is prepping a disk image for the microSD card on a Windows PC instead of my Mac.

Is there anything I’m doing wrong here? I’ve followed all the guides to the letter, and nothing has worked after four days of attempts.

The installs all end in stuff shown in these photos of my monitor attached to the pis and the installer appears to just hang here for hours

Do you have any firewalls or anything blocking outbound connections in any way?

It’s on a pretty standard Unifi/Ubiquity network I’ve never had outbound troubles with any other devices. This might be a possibility only if the default Unifi network monitoring is blocking it. I’d be willing to open it up to anything if it’d help.

It just looks like some kind of network error… not likely the hardware or image or sd-card…

Ok, I’ll try installing it on a friend’s network first and bring it home after. Thanks!

Good idea. I’ve set up HA from scratch on a Pi last week and also on a NUC just this week so it should be working for you.

The only network blocker I can think of is that I’m running Pi-Hole on another rpi on the network. Is it possible the download links for the hassio image are on blocked AWS servers or something?

Just a note… With etcher you should not need to format the card - etcher will take care of that. Not an issue if you formatted first but shouldn’t need to.

I disabled my pi-hole setup for an hour but still running into the same issues. Will try this on another network tomorrow.

Yeah… pihole…

Is the DNS on your router pointing to pihole as well???

I would be tempted to try the VENV install if HASSIO isn’t working, the only downside is that it’s more complex to install which can be a bit of a turn off.

Hass.io on a Pi is bread and butter and dare I say it the default recommendation. In any case, if he can’t get that to work, he will have less luck with a venv install is my guess. He has a network problem he needs to fix… they it will be plain vanilla install.

I installed using a Mac. Was stuck with the same issue. I can’t see anything when connected physically to the pi, but can hit the Hassio server from my mac. I don’t know why, but I expected to be able to see some kind of ui from the hdmi ports on the PI.
There was a setting change, I think I had to use a Windows PC to write to a configuration file on a folder on a USB stick. The Mac couldn’t access that.

You should see a command prompt.

In the end, I finally solved this. I had to decrease my MTU setting below 1500 for remote installs to work on my slow DSL network. I installed ubuntu and docker and got hassio to work in a container only once I reduced the MTU setting on the ethernet interface.

If I was going to start over with a pi4, is it possible to change the MTU before the install begins?

Your MTU should be at the router level, not the client level. If you have to change it on the client, you have a problem.

i had the same issue, and upon second try noticed that the ‘failure’ was it running successfully… just got [IP ADDRESS]:8123 on another computer and HA loads…

it is an instance RUNNING…

i think it was working. im a noob and thought i had the same issue; look at his photo above… HA was running read for him to login at [IP ADDRESS]:8123…