Cant install requirements/dependiencies on new Hassbian install

Hi all,
I’ve just moved from Hassio to Hassbian and am setting up my original components. Each component I call has been failing with errors relating to missing dependencies (openzwave, unifi and a couple others) which i was successfully able to install via pip.

Something has changed/broken overnight and I’m now unable to install python modules via this method. I am trying to install yeelight and panasonic_viera among other things but everything is failing either during homeassistant startup or pip install.

homeassistant.log below for failing yeelight dependency (the error log is the same if i attempt to install via pip.

Appreciate anyones assistance!

2018-04-13 01:16:31 ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package yeelight==0.4.0: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 350, in _make_request
    self._validate_conn(conn)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 837, in _validate_conn
    conn.connect()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connection.py", line 323, in connect
    ssl_context=context)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 324, in ssl_wrap_socket
    return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ssl.py", line 385, in wrap_socket
    _context=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ssl.py", line 760, in __init__
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ssl.py", line 996, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ssl.py", line 641, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
socket.timeout: _ssl.c:704: The handshake operation timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 594, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 353, in _make_request
    self._raise_timeout(err=e, url=url, timeout_value=conn.timeout)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 313, in _raise_timeout
    raise ReadTimeoutError(self, url, "Read timed out. (read timeout=%s)" % timeout_value)
requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.piwheels.org', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=15)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 353, in run
    wb.build(autobuilding=True)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 749, in build
    self.requirement_set.prepare_files(self.finder)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 554, in _prepare_file
    require_hashes
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 278, in populate_link
    self.link = finder.find_requirement(self, upgrade)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/index.py", line 465, in find_requirement
    all_candidates = self.find_all_candidates(req.name)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/index.py", line 423, in find_all_candidates
    for page in self._get_pages(url_locations, project_name):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/index.py", line 568, in _get_pages
    page = self._get_page(location)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/index.py", line 683, in _get_page
    return HTMLPage.get_page(link, session=self.session)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/index.py", line 792, in get_page
    "Cache-Control": "max-age=600",
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 501, in get
    return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/download.py", line 386, in request
    return super(PipSession, self).request(method, url, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 488, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 609, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/adapter.py", line 47, in send
    resp = super(CacheControlAdapter, self).send(request, **kw)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/adapters.py", line 423, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 643, in urlopen
    _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
  File "/srv/homeassistant/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 315, in increment
    total -= 1
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -=: 'Retry' and 'int'
2018-04-13 01:16:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.requirements] Not initializing light.yeelight because could not install requirement yeelight==0.4.0
2018-04-13 01:16:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform light.yeelight: Could not install all requirements.

Since the traceback is an ssl problem, you should first check your internet connection. I have just checked by installing yeelight in a virtual environment, and it is accessible via pip.

Secondly, please copy and paste the commands you entered. Most of the problems with hassbian are because the correct user was not used, or the virtual environment was not set up, and that cannot be determined from your post.

Thanks gpbenton for the reply,

I had internet connectivity and could ping pywheels. I was installing via pip3 install xxxx which was working the night before but stopped for some reason - same with home assistant automatically downloading the requirements.

I ended up reloading the hassbian image and all has returned to normal, homeassistant automatically downloads the modules and i can install them manually if required. The only thing i had changed previosuuly was made a change to sources.llist to add the ffmpeg module.

Thanks for you assistance.