Cant login to HA from App, no issues from same tablet with brave

Folks,

I have a nexus 2nd gen from 2013, stock, all google, latest updates, well, latest means 2016 regarding the OS in this case.

When I try to go to lovelace with brave, all works nice, fast and fluent. Even almost faster than with my normal desktop.

when I do the same with the HA android app, I cant even complete the login. Same goes with both kiosk things (browser and app) and the same also goes for the wall panel project.

So whats the matter with those apps? Do I have an issue with the stock browser (chorme, version 44 or so)? Or what is this stuff (HA companion, kiosks and wall panel) relying on for the browser work?

What I want is a single page from lovelace, displayed right from boot up, no other access and nothing else and no access to menus or what so ever.

Why: The tablet displaying this is in the public space of my home (hence a peace of equipment one could get for 10 bucks from ebay). Its also accessible by say the maintenance guys, guest, who ever enters the main door. Its informing about cistern level and recent changes, solar output vs house consumption and battery level and history. and also our sump pump. Furthermore it also displays the sweeping-week duty schedule (a very southern Germany thing) as well as the garbage schedule.

Thanks

ps: I just played around, and indeed, I have the very same thing with chrome. so what version of chrome is known to work?

So i found, that the login from chrome did not work as well. so I checked, the current version is 98 somewhere, mine was 44, so i did do an update (side-loaded the current apk as I dont have a google account on that tablet, it goes to a public space, remeber).

Well, the update did not change anything in the ha app.

Then I did set the standard browser to brave

No change

then I just tried chrome itself, and it did work, pretty slow compared to brave, and lots of missing cards in lovelace, but it did login.

after that the HA and the wall panel did as well.

what ever that hick up was.

So I tried to edit some settings and I used back once to often, had to sing in again, and now Im back to not being able to log into the HA via wall panel or HA commanion app. It works like a charm in Chrome, also slow and sluggish, and it works like a charm in brave.

What ever I do, I tried deleting all history in chrome, other users, what ever. no dice.

the app guys probably should compare performance on the browser engines. brave is way faster than chrome! Im sure as an app builder you can chose the browser engine that is used?

edit: yes I know brave is based on chrome, still, brave on my nexus gen 2 is so much faster, its like day and night, and it fetches all history graphs every time, chrome misses half of em every second reload…

Cheers
Manne

So I have come a bit further.

My HA log says Im still atempting login from a 44 Version Chrome…

Logger: homeassistant.components.http.ban
Source: components/http/ban.py:125
Integration: HTTP (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 15:38:45 (45 occurrences)
Last logged: 19:25:01

Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from android-67ce2f9db5b449b7.fritz.box (10.101.111.102). (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 7 Build/MOB30X; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/44.0.2403.117 Safari/537.36)
Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from android-67ce2f9db5b449b7.fritz.box (10.101.111.102). (HomeAssistant/Android Nexus 7 2022.2.1-2058)
Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from android-67ce2f9db5b449b7.fritz.box (10.101.111.102). (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 7 Build/MOB30X) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/44.0.2403.133 Safari/537.36)

you need to use googles version of android system webview and it needs to be selected as the default webview so you need to update your stuff.

1 Like

Brave browser also causes issue with lovelace, you should stop using it.

1 Like

No issues with brave, but thx for the heads-up.

android system webview was disabled, how the heck should a user know that a disabled piece of software still performs stuff and by that makes other software fail.

now I got the update, and authentication works like a charm.

Any ideas how comes it did work once or twice during my tests?

still the HA app as well as the wall panel is way slower than the brave in displaying the same lovelace cards… any ideas why that might be?

Thanks again.

on some devices it is disabled by default and chrome is used instead. On those devices chrome needs to be up to date.

not sure I would need to see the logs.

make sure you are using the latest version of the APKs i cant speak to performance on that device as I do not have it. I can only speak to what is supported and what works.

1 Like

Im back to the original Android 6 Chrome 44 something. That did not change the behavior, so my device is using the system webview. Did ditch the brave as well on this unit.

Since its working now, I just have to figure out how to get rid of the top bar with the menu access for this tablet only…

Thanks again for helping, I always wonder how you guys know all that stuff. awesome!