Can't login to Raspberry Pi w/Hassbian

Since yesterday I’ve been working on setting up Hassbian on my Raspberry Pi and so far everything had been working fine. A few minutes ago I found I can’t connect to my pi through ssh. I get prompted for a username (pi) and password but after I enter the password nothing happens. I’ve pulled the power and restarted that way but still have the same problem logging in. Is there a different username/password combination I can use to login so I can get into the pi and debug what’s going on?

Can you hook it up to a monitor/TV and a keyboard? If so follow this guide.

This of course assumes that you’d changed the default password, and that you hadn’t made it accessible from the Internet. If you’d left the password at the default “raspberry” and made it Internet accessible then it may have been compromised and you’ll likely want to rebuild it :wink:

1 Like

As Hasbian is depending on Raspbian I think the below might also be true for you:
As of the November 2016 release, Raspbian has the SSH server disabled by default. You will have to enable it manually. This is done using raspi-config: Enter sudo raspi-config in the terminal, first select Interfacing options , then navigate to ssh , press Enter and select Enable or disable ssh server.

It should work, I did a clean hassbian install earlier tonight and I was able to log in remotely.

The obvious questions…

• Did you start from the most recent version of hassbian (link)?

• Are you sure that you are connecting to the right IP-address? (Does http://<YOUR-IP>:8123 in a browser work?)

• Are you using the proper user (pi) and default password (raspberry)? ssh pi@<YOUR-IP>

• Did it work before but did you - like you were warned to do - change your password? (command passwd)

• Did you - if needed - clear out a previous fingerprint for the ECDSA key in the known_hosts file ? Check .ssh/known_hosts

If it’s nothing of that, I don’t know it neither :slight_smile:

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions!

A few things to clarify, its not that I couldn’t connect by SSH or that I hadn’t logged in before. It was working just fine then after logging out again and reconnecting later, I could enter my name and password but after that I would get no server response.

Now maybe my password was still default :slight_smile: However one of the suggestions I was seeing while searching the problem were some people on Windows having problems with PUTTY connecting over wireless. The people who had this problem were describing what I was seeing – they could connect over ssh over wireless, enter their username and password, then nothing. They also said that connecting to ethernet would work fine. So I plugged back in my ethernet cable and connected by the pi’s wired IP address and I was able to login. I changed my password first thing. I then tried to see if this changed my problems connecting wirelessly to my pi and sure enough that started working fine too.

Thanks again for everyone’s help. Looks like this is a weird issue with PUTTY/Linux and not directly related to hassbian.

1 Like