Can't Remove Docker Containers

Yeah it is but you don’t need to reinstall. I don’t get why HA doesn’t just auto-restart the containers itself. I use docker-compose for everything else and it all just comes up again without any intervention from me.

No, you’re right, I probably didn’t need to reinstall. I did try to restart containers from Portainer, but had no success (I was, maybe, too impatient), so after a few minutes of fretting, I “hit the emergency button” and reinstalled. :slight_smile:

If you didn’t check the logs the issue with the database was taking a LONG time for it to timeout… flying blind isn’t good… you can’t see what is going wrong.

I tried going through these steps, and everything seems to have completed successfully, however when I try to stop/kill/remove the hassio_supervisor container I get an error that permission is denied. Any idea how to correct that and permanently remove the hassio in Docker install? I’m in the process of migrating to Home Assistant Supervised in a VM.

Hi,

you could try to stop your container first. Did you do that already?

docker stop hassio_supervisor

if that doesn’t work, try with sudo

sudo docker stop hassio_supervisor

Then execute the commands like I mentioned again, just to be sure.

in Ubunto20.04 the following worked for me:

sudo docker stop hassio_supervisor && sudo docker rmi -f THE-IMAGE-NAME
sudo docker rm hassio_supervisor

continue for the rest of the containers

The image name can be found by using different commands e.g.

sudo docker ps -a

Beware that completely removes the image/container :wink:

I can’t stop the home assistant. It will restart automatically after 15 seconds. How can I prevent this and completely uninstall everything. It cannot be stopped via Telnet either. Then I get the message: sudo: systemctl: command not found

I’m in the same boat on my Synology nas. I was running into too many issues since HA it was not supported on a synology NAS. So I moved everything to a RPi. Just trying to clean up my NAS and having the hardest time getting the supervisor and 4-5 more containers out of docker.
I ssh into docker and used the docker stop, kill, rm all to no avail. The supervisor just starts right back up and I can’t get rid of it. I tried the systemctl commands as well but get the error that systemctl is not valid. Not sure how to get rid of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I deleted the hassio files thinking the supervisor would stop rebooting. Well that didn’t work. All it’s doing now it trying to start then errors out then tries again. It’s chewing up 40-50% of my CPU. Need help.

I finally solved it at least for my scenario. I had to stop and uninstall the hass.io in the package center and that stopped the rebooting of the supervisor. Once that was done, then it was a simple delete of the hassio-supervisor.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. At first I didn’t get it at all. Suddenly I understood what you meant and then it worked for me.
I just didn’t realize that I had a Synology package “hass.io” running, which had to be stopped first… Jeez!