Can't restore snapshot - error "snapshot doesn't exist"

I’m moving HA to a VM (HassOS) and copied a snapshot to the new HassOS install, into the backup folder. The snapshot doesn’t show up under Supervisor/Snapshots/Available Snapshots, and when I use the terminal to try and restore I get the error “snapshot doesn’t exist”.

➜  backup ls -la
total 190644
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Apr 24 08:52 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          4096 Apr 24 08:06 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        348160 Apr 24 08:10 915dc7c4.tar
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        481280 Apr 24 07:48 c10b8d2a.tar
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     194375680 Apr 24 08:16 switchover20200423.tar
➜  backup ha snapshots restore switchover20200423.tar
Processing... Done.

Error: Snapshot does not exist
➜  backup 

I’ve restored snapshots before without issue, but this seems to be different. Has the process of moving a snapshot from one instance/machine to another changed?

Ok, I’ve subsequently found this post…

For some reason, only by clicking the refresh icon will the snapshot show up. I had restarted HassOS prior to this, would have thought a restart would have done the trick. I also thought restoring from CLI would have worked, but it did not. Now that the snapshot is “visible”, I have attempted to restore it unsuccessfully. I’ve tried both the “Restore selected” option and “Wipe and restore”, neither worked. I’ve restored from snapshots before, but never had issue with HassOS not seeing the snapshot once dropped in the backup folder. What changed, or what steps am I missing?

Persistence pays off. Kept trying, tried the “wipe and restore” option a second and third time…and wouldn’t you know it, third time’s a charm.

there is a command to restore the snapshot from the cli - I don’t think you can rename the file?

ha sn restore 915dc7c4

would be valid… maybe they allow file renames now.

But you have to reload the snapshots first by clicking the wheel in top right or from cli:

ha sn reload

Then you should be good to go.
You can also do

ha sn info 915dc7c4

and it will tell you what is in that snapshot