Can't update hassio to 0.105.x

I got it installed by running the command
hassio homeassistant update —version 0.105.2

Only issue now is supervisor tells me an update is available to 0.104.3
I don’t see all the nice new icons for supervisor either

20-02-08 10:15:32 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Successful run Home Assistant 0.104.3
20-02-08 10:15:32 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [hassio.docker.interface] Cleanup images: ['homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.105.2']```

This is what I get after a upgrade.
Running Hassio in Proxmox. 15% of the 32Gb storage used.
Supervisor and Hassio to latest version upgraded successfully.

Tried upgrading now at least 10 times, still no success.

As you can see above, I tried everything I found online.
What worked for me was, disabling ipv6 on my router. On my router I can enable or disable ipv6.
Seems to be working fine now. I’ll report if I have any more issues.
I also read that having a static DNS can fix these issues.
Scratch all that above.
ipv6 on or off had temporary effect.
Two things:

1. The only thing that worked was a fresh install of Hassio on a card formatted with SD card formatter. With the latest version ofcourse.
  2. I got the addons to work on all cards by the following. Delete addon, restart HA (under configuration>server controls>restart. Then once the system is back up, install the addon and start. Don’t click anywhere else, if you want to add another addon, restart and follwo the same steps. This has got to be a bug in the nes HassOS.
    If that does not work start Portainer from the addons and unhide all containers and remove the container of the addon that does not start or install with errors.
1 Like

Hi,
I had the same problem and resolved it.
if you have netatmo integration in your configuration.yaml file, comment it, restart HA and try again.
From 0.105.2 netetmo is integrated :slight_smile:

Hope, it helps

2 Likes

@mmychu will try again, did these steps 8-2-2020 already.

I have had some upgrade problems in the past and only recently rebuilt my system due to a microSD card failure (it went “read-only”… weird for a microSD card)

So, are we all saying that the upgrade (on a RPi3) still doesn’t work and only a full re-install works?

cannot update from 104.3 to 105.2. Here’s my log when launching the check tool:

starting version 3.2.8
[12:35:46] INFO: Don't worry, this temporary installation is not overwriting your current one.
[12:35:46] INFO: Installing Home Assistant: latest...
[12:35:46] INFO: Please be patient, this might take a few minutes...
Fatal Python error: initsite: Failed to import the site module
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site.py", line 73, in <module>
    import os
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/os.py", line 27, in <module>
    import stat as st
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'stat'
[12:35:47] ERROR: An error occurred while installing Home Assistant:

Same issue…

Just leaving here my situation, in case it helps to debug:

Raspberry Pi 4 running 104.3. Update to 105.2 failed. The system is not responsive (and I can’t access the logs, since I did not have the SSH add-on installed).

Fortunately, I had a backup ‘before updating’ so thought that the fastest way was to reinstall HassOS and restore.

System up, I do a wipe and restore… System not responsive
hmmm…
I flash HassOS again… System up, Do a restore all (Including HA 104.3 this time, in case it’s the new version…) System not responsive…

My system has fixed IP address (in HassOS configuration) and fixed DNS.
I don’t have the add-ons that I’ve read on this thread that cause problems.
I have:
Configurator
NodeRed
MariaDB (the DB is running on a different system to avoid SD wear)
Mosquitto

I’ll try to tinker a bit more today… It’s the first time that an update fails on me…
R

I tried a 4th time to update from .104.3 to .105.2.
Steps
New snapshot
Ran check config no errors.
Read breaking changes. No conflicts, static IP, no ipv6.
Ran update.
SSH and Samba load correctly but can’t get to Lovelace through browser. Cannot connect to host, refused like others above. I tried the chat support and all I’m seeing is reinstall on a fresh sd card. Someone must understand the errors that people are posting here and many other threads and GitHub sites and have a better solution for people to try. Very frustrating when the configuration check says all is good and it still fails.

try disable netatmo – did it for me

2 Likes

Check this website as well: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/31584

Here also place where people post similar errors and similar solutions… None did the trick for me so far.

I run Hassio on Proxmox VM

1 Like

Update:

Seeing many threads about the issues with 0.105.2, I decided to do a full rollback…

• Fresh SD flash
  • hassio rollback to 3.8
  • ha rollback to 0.104.3
    And there must still be something weird going on, because the moment I restore my (previously working and config checked) backup, it stops responding… even SSH… :frowning:

I’m starting to be out of ideas here…
R

1 Like

wait for 0.105.3 :wink:

I updated, and then, of course, HA will not restart! I mean, why would it? Life would be too boring otherwise. That has become a feature of life now. If you have home assistant, you need to spend all your free time troubleshooting it. So, you’d better enjoy that or you should use something else, because I don’t see this problem going away ever.

Every time there is an update, I know everything will break down after I press that button but I cannot resist. So I press it… And then, I spend the rest of my weekend troubleshooting. So much for home ‘automation’ that makes your life easier. hahahaha

3 Likes

I’m like you, I cannot resist, but the limit for me is the night, I have to rollback, because the only way I have to activate my bedroom roller shutters is using my z-wave remote :grin:

2 Likes

Too long to have my home without HA now :slight_smile:

I´ve been a user since 3 months now… Control my lights, blinds, thermostats, humidifiers and -most importantly- my coffee machine with HA. All the systems (by design) can work without HA, but… I miss my automations and scenes :smiley:

New update:

• Fresh SD flash (3.9 and 0.105.2)
  • Manual install and configuration of add-ons (just copy and paste config from my backup)
  • Manual configuration of HA (copy and paste from backup)
  • Config check (passes as expected)
  • Happy me…

Not a solution, but at least a workaround until the issue is solved… And didn´t take much longer than a normal restore from backup.

Lessons learnt…

• I´m very happy I always backup before an upgrade (or any config changes)
  • Next time, before upgrade… full SD dump… to be able to recover in case the ´restore´ option doesn´t work (like yesterday/today)

R

Ok, I’ve got it!!

Let me explain:
I have Proxmox VM, I do have 2 VM’s running. I was working on one of the VM’s while I had the other one still running…
Read several logs after the reboots, never saw this one, until just now: There was an unique other one running, so I stopped the other VM, upgrade again and viola! It came up.
Just to clarify, both VM’s had unique IP addresses, so no errors there. Apparently the one VM also looked at the other VM …??

I wish I would have left well enough alone… I am a new user to home assistant and raspberry pi. I have been working on my HA for a couple of weeks none stop, and I DID NOT make a backup… I got carried away building it and I have intergrated my whole house to it.
So today when I hit the update button on the home assistant it didnt seem to do anything, and so I decided to update the operating system to 3.9 and that was a huge mistake. when it restarted itself it will not boot. I cant get back into my home assistant and I am really freaking out. I just downloaded some of my files on the sd card using a linux file reader program so I have what I think is most of the yaml files that I spent so much time on. What is the best way to get my instance back up and running. Should I reinstall on a new card and then try to copy over via samba when I have it up and running again? what files do I need other than the yaml files? there seems to be alot of different partions in the linux files. Can I just reinstall and then copy my files back over? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The problem is if you don’t keep up to date, when you actually want to update there will be so many breaking changes that you will run into so many issues that it may be easier to start fresh if you have missed several releases

SD cards are known for failure many people have switched to storing their config’s on USB’s or away from Raspberry Pi’s all together the best way to reinstall home assistant would be to just move over your config files/folder via SAMBA as the other files on the usb could be corrupt. I highly recommend setting up automatic backups of your config so this doesn’t happen in the future