Can't update location of device to homeassistant (Android)

Hi, I have been using Home Assistant for the last two weeks or so. Everything is going great except I can’t seem to be able to track my device.

I am using Nabu Casa in order to be able to log into Home Assistant remotly and that part works. The compagnion app is able to show me my home and everything connected within.

I have enable location tracking on my phone and the app is allowed to run in the background.

When I look at the log I see this:

To me it looks like either the phone is trying to reach the nabu casa service and fails to do it, or the nabu casa service is trying to reach my home IP and is not successfull doing so.

But why would I be able to use the app remotly and not be able to send my location, that’s what I don’t really get.

I could not find anything obvious I would have missed.

Thanks

If it was trying to reach nabu casa it would show the URL in the error, try checking the app settings maybe the external URL is an old one? The failure here is in an API call, the frontend does not use this API.

Hi, I checked the external url in the app and it displays the correct address (in that case the nabu casa one)

What I can’t understand is why the app would work when I use my phone outside my home but it would fail to upload my location.

And it also does not look like it’s an issue with the sensor not sending the info but a redirection issue.

maybe a networking issue on your end? out of control for the app here.

Did you ever solve this?

I seem to have exactly the same problem. I’m using the app, connected to my home server via Nabu Casa and it works fine. Location data never gets sent though and the logs look like it is trying to send directly to my home server, not Nabu Casa.

Settings > Companion app > Select your server and turn off the “use HA cloud” option and check the URL stored. May need to update it as there are certain cases where the app does not retrieved updated URLs and that causes odd issues like this.

1 Like

Thanks @dshokouhi !
I looked at Nabu Casa and it said that the remote url was not connected, not sure why because it was working fine apart from location.
In Home Assistant I just went to Settings > Home Assistant Cloud signed out and signed back in again. That did the trick for me, I guess that was just another way to force it to refresh the url.

1 Like

yes that is correct logging out of the app and logging in will trigger the registration process to pull the URLs again, for some reason they dont come during the registration update.

1 Like