Can't use hourly forecast in automation anymore

I used to use the hourly weather forecast (Met.no) in my automation, but recently, the hourly forecast entity disappeared. How do I get it back?

I can still see the hourly forecast under automation, but the entity is gone.

Hi, have you seen this about the met.no integration: 2024.3: Drag 'n Drop it like it's hot! 🎉 - Home Assistant

Unfortunately, the linked documentation doesn’t contain any information about the entities and the linked github pull request is the wrong one. I must have clicked on the wrong one.

I am not seeing anything that explains the change.

I guess the met.no api has changed, so it’s not from the HA side.

It Has been announced month ago, last year , when HA were going over to “Service-Calls” for these services, And that weather-integrations had to adapt to this… been tons of discussions/issues on this “Topic”
08.03.2024_01.26.35_REC

Which is also what the linked github, clearly says in top post

Couple of things here.

You can’t expect the average user to keep abreast of every discussion that goes on. That is simply impossible.

I never said there was nothing posted, I read the changelogs. I saw it. I also acknowledged that I clicked the wrong link.

Saying it has been removed is not the same as explaining how to make use of the change, so I stand by what I said. The documentation does not explain how to use the new entity.

That being said, I was actively trying to figure it out so I could help this user.

Not if you mean met.no, it’s still the very same, deliver the same as before, however what the integration does with this data, is another thing :wink: …

1 Like

For the OP, the entity is simply called weather.home. Not sure what you were trying to do with it, but I assume this will still work for you.

OK, i guess there will get quite a few more Topics on this Subject, as you as the other user most likely not are the only ones who “missed” this VERY discussed issue ( which a simple search would have revealed )
Here is some basic info, the rest other examples etc, you’ll find with a search

That’s why I wrote ‘I guess’, don’t know really how this works but what I meant to say is that it’s not because of the upgrade of HA.

Display/retrieve the hourly forecast

Correct, anyone using the the native Weather Integration, and the Provider met.no has now only 1 entity

It kind of are, as it was announced, about 6 month ago, and that it would be removed(end of life, for old “version”) in march 24
So yes, The weather-integration in HA is permanently changed now, anyone who uses this, And havent adapted, will most likely “report” in now :slight_smile:

PS: as for OP, i can’t help there as there is no code, or much to assist on, as he doesn’t tell how he is using the weather integration, the native weather-card should work as usual, i asume

1 Like

You’re right, thanks for explaining.

I do remember now something in the presentation of that release but it didn’t stick since I didn’t know what the consequences would be.
Coincidentally, I didn’t bump on any topic about this until now because I was using the hourly forecast too…

1 Like

I “waited/hoping” that this service-call method would not be applied to a weather-service, as i’s kind of unreliable in it’s “updating”, compared to poll the API direct
However few weeks ago, i created 12 sensor (6+6), 1 for each day/hour to show in UI, with the “Attributes” i needed (8) , so i can use these to request details from, in templates/automations

So it leaves me with 12 sensors( updating regularly ) , with a total of 96 attributes

No, i wouldn’t call this change for an “enhancement” , nor even a contributions to a better/faster/smaller DB

Just saw that. It didn’t give a solution though. I still don’t know how to use hourly weather in automation.

The weather card on the dashboard actually popped up an error after reconfiguring it worked.
The issue is, on the weather card, there’s an option that allows the users to choose hourly or daily weather, but that is not the case in Automation.

As my screenshot indicates, in the past I use the hourly weather as an “And if” requirement to manage the garden watering. For example, only water when the hourly weather is “Sunny”. Now, the hourly weather entity is gone. There’s no simple way to use this in automation anymore. I do think this change is making the experience worse.

1 Like

True, and yes you now have to create a template-sensor., to call a service(weather-integration, which stores the data in ram), updated irregularly/random

You could report a “bug” for the Automation UI, but most likely you will be “referenced” to the creation of template(s)

Im Not sure how exactly the new model works, but i have compared with the met.no API, and met.no Weather Site. Decent Weather Services Updates their hourly weather quite often, doo to sudden (larger) shifts/variations in the weather, compared to what they “predicted” an hour or 2 ago.

The met.no retrieve(listen to) or poll for changes, then hand it over( in a formatted/adapted way ) to the weather-integration, which stores it in your RAM, and thus available through a service-call. ( You don’t poll the API( for latest and greatest ), and how often met.no does i don’t know.

The Service-call, request the specified data if available , From the RAM ( which could already be outdate/changed, doo to “weather-circumstance” ), and not yet updated in HA, Weather-Integration , and/or that the met.no integration haven’t got or polled the met.no API.

I find there is sometimes huge delays / wrong datas compared to met.no site etc. This i tested/monitored prior to this HA update. But after they made the changes 6 month ago.

For a reliable weather-forecast one should/need to use rest to retrieve the info, it’s my opinion that the “New” current weather-service in HA, is nothing more than a “Fancy Gimmick” people can show of on their Phone ( kind of ironic that such an important service is “killed”/ made into a restricted “service”, in a HomeAutomation System ) as i find it as important as my i.e heating system, or as you an irrigation system etc.

PS: You only showed the condition, not trigger , nor action, so something to think about when building your “new” templates, is how often should you run a service-call , as you can’t do anything about met.no integration ( I hope they use webhook(listen for changes), and updates the weather integration, when ever a change occur, but this could still be 59min of, or much more, if you get updates every hour, and everything else in the chain works as intended , with no hickups and flaws )

PS: as it seems you only(at some unspecified time) is interested in the state/attributes “condition=sunny” /and then perform some unspecified action, and if this is only Current(condition), and not in i.e next hour or in 3-5 hours ahead, then a simple template , would be your best shot.
But to know/understand When/What “triggers” your automation, and what entity/device your action is pointed to, is quiet important , as the “Solution” could be easier, maybe you only need a template-sensor and no automation

Interesting, didn’t realise that met.no weather has delays, in my memory it’s really accurate in my area, better than the official BOM’s weather report. There’s a HACS integration that provides BOM hourly weather, but it’s just “fake” hourly weather that never changes during the day…

Here’s my automation:
Trigger: time interval.
Then use weather and time (sunrise till sunset) as constrians.
Then call Google Assistant to run the watering, as there’s no integration to Holman’s “smart” water tap.

met.no weather forecast provider it self is also the most accurate weather service where i live
the met.no integration, combined with the weather-integrations service-call function, and on top of that template-sensor(s), in a browser-view # card … is prone to delays/storing of old datas ( in the browser view ) The automation/template a little less
Fetching the data direct ( when needed, or important updates occur) from the met.no API = optimal
My previous experience is “listen for changes” store it in DB, when new updates occur replace outdated datas, and only that ( as there is no point in writing datas which haven’t change )
Then upon UI/function request, fetch from DB

Just out of curiosity, what kind of “plants” is good to water when the sun is baking hot ?

I’m surprised it still has a forecast attribute. It was announced back in September that the attribute would be removed in the March release:

1 Like