Capture Amazon Dash button press

I dont know what kind of router you have, but after I register a button, I create a WAN_OUT rule on my Edge Router that drops all traffic for that device.

I use dasher. On my netgear router, I used the parental control feature (disney circle) to block internet access to all my dash devices. It works.

Rather than create a new topic, I’m wondering if someone here can confirm for me whether or not Amazon Dash buttons will still work in 2020 with Home Assistant. I don’t see anywhere that says it won’t, but before I take the plunge and buy some off eBay I’m curious if I can get these working.

As far as I know, any existing Amazon Dash buttons that were ever connected to the internet after (I think…) 2018 or early 2019 or so have had the firmware updated and can’t work with HA using any third party software. That’s when Amazon made the buttons obsolete.

I found that out the hard way when suddenly my one (luckily) dash button stopped working. On investigation I found that Amazon obsoleted the buttons and there was literallyn nothing you could do but throw them away.

But if they had never been connected to the Amazon servers (or if you knew about the need before they were intentionally broken by the firmware update) then there was a workaround to make them keep working.

So buyer beware.

@finity Any ideas where those work arounds are to be found? Plenty of unused buttons on Ebay. Only article I’ve found (after 5 minutes searching) is for pre-2016 buttons.

Here is the docker image I used (github link).

There was a post a while back that talked about what was necessary to keep them working but I can’t find it.

again, if the buttons haven’t been connected to the internet to receive the “bricking update” you can just use the amazon-dash software to make them work as described at the github link above.

https://blog.christophermullins.com/2019/12/20/rescue-your-amazon-dash-buttons/