šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Add css styles to any lovelace card

Has something changed with the use of mod-card since 2022.3 or a recent card-mod upgrade?

Yes, Iā€™ve read the instructions and as the read-me says ā€œI know what Iā€™m doingā€. In fact I have been using this successfully for well over a year.

Now I have upgraded to 2022.03 and I get this error

I have this in my configuration.yaml

frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes/
  extra_module_url:
    - /hacsfiles/lovelace-card-mod/card-mod.js

and have tried with and without this in my resources.yaml (Do I need it or not?)

- url: /hacsfiles/lovelace-card-mod/card-mod.js
  type: module

card-mod is obviously installed and working everywhere else.

Usual restarts, refreshes and clearing cache have been tried.
Any help please!

PS Edge browser desktop and phone if that makes a difference.

see: mod-card 'doesnt exist' on first load Ā· Issue #185 Ā· thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod Ā· GitHub and please chime inā€¦

I saw this with update to 2022.03 as well.

I took it as a sign that with constant changes to the frontend, the writing is likely on the wall for the mod_card trick (I should underline of course that this is not official in any way), so I ended up replacing all my styled horizontal-stack and vertical-stack cards with Custom Stack In Card

It has a ha-card element so can be more easily styled with the standard card_mod approach.

I use a picture-glance (in a vertical stack card) for my camera and am pleased with the result in general.
The only downer is that it takes a short while before the image is loaded, but just enough to be annoying.
The picture-glance is the top card and just when you want to tap a button, the image is loaded and so the button jumps to a lower position in the screen.

I am wondering if itā€™s possible to somehow set a predefined height. Unfortunately am too new to the Card-mod to figure it out by myself. Anyone a suggestion how to solve it?

Try to find your solution here:
1st post -> link at the bottom -> post with styles -> post for Picture Glance card
If no solution is present then come back with a more detailed description.

I added (your) code for a picture-elements: Styling elements in Picture elements card: a small tutorial - #2 by Ildar_Gabdullin

That seemed to work.

Hi,
thanks for this mod.
I want to create a simple card with big time numbers.

What Iā€™ve tried is very simple. Color and weight change is working, but font and size donā€™t work. Increasing the font size does result in a bigger space at the top of the card, but the size of the numbers stay the same. Any suggestion?

type: entity
entity: sensor.time
card_mod:
  style: |
    ha-card {
        font-size: 150px;
        font-family: Helvetica;
        color: yellow;
        font-weight: bold;
        }
state_color: false
name: Bechtolsheim

1st post -> link at the bottom -> post with styles -> post for Entity card

Thanks for that, I was just about to install Custom Stack In Card via HACS when I saw that Card-Mod had an update. I updated and it seems to work againā€¦

dont think I found a post on the core Lovelace type: grid card above, so hereā€™s my quest:

using

- type: grid
    columns: 10
    cards:

and a set of button cards, I get a nice horizontal row of small buttons, which I needā€™ but unfortunately with gaps between the buttons.

I tried:

- type: custom:layout-card
    layout_type: custom:horizontal-layout
    layout:
      width: 40
      max_cols: 10
      card_margin: 0px
      margin: 0px

which comes close,

but this is bothered by the resizing (probably the fixed width) and the iPhone screen size. taking 1 or 2 buttons to the next line.

Grid auto-resizes nicely.

So, I want to card_mod the gap in the type: grid card to be 0px.

could anyone help me out doing so please?

thanks for having a look!

maybe:

- type: custom:stack-in-card
    mode: horizontal
    keep:
      background: true
    cards:

does just that, but then I would need yet another custom cardā€¦

And why do you not stay with grid, e.g. inside a custom:vertical-stack-in-card (to have a ha-card) and then remove the gaps with card_mod?

Edit: Ah, o.k. last paragraph. I see.

that is exactly what I was askingā€¦

btw I dont use the vertical-stack-in-card, had too many issues with that in the past
I always try an entities card first (can throw anything in an entities), or a core stack (either horizontal or vertical). Grid card is magic.

if nothing of these does what I need, I might resort to stack-in-card , but it always gives trouble when using fold-entity-rows and needs heavy card-modding in that situationā€¦
but, I have to admit, it seems to be the easiest card for concatenating images/buttons in a single row.

though I very often see this happening:

first load after a lovelace refresh shows perfectly:

and a reload messes it up:

grr,

need to override that yet again with:

card_mod:
        ha-card {
          background-color: var(--background-color-off);
        }

on the stack-in-cardā€¦

Hm. Expected the the problem was only to have it without helpe-card around. If it is only the css, you are asking. The root inside grid-card has

grid-gap: var(--grid-card-gap, 8px);

Donā€™t get it both topics:

Core stack do not have ha-card to card-mod it. Have it?

And ā€œcan throw anything in an entitiesā€? Without lovelace-hui-element?

its easy to mod the contained cards.

nope, with hui-element, one of the most used cards in my config :wink:

now, how to get to the .root in the type: grid card and set the grid-gap: 0px;

:joy: No, if those do not have ha-card and the contained card neither (like here grid), then you canā€™t. That was the topic and therefor I proposed

Just set it. Here with custom:vertical-stack-in-card as helper.

type: custom:vertical-stack-in-card
title: abc
card_mod:
    :host { --grid-card-gap: 100px; }
cards:

Or (not so efficient):

type: custom:vertical-stack-in-card
card_mod:
  style:
    hui-grid-card$: |
      #root { grid-gap: 100px !important; }
cards:
1 Like

thanks, however that is not what I can use, since I need the mod to be set in the grid-card itself and need a mod-card for that, like

- type: custom:mod-card
    card_mod:
        :host {
          grid-gap: 0px;
        }

card:
      type: grid

since the grid card doesnt have a ha-card element. This doesnā€™t work though.

this does !

card_mod:
      style:
          #root { grid-gap: 0px; }
    card:

also without the !important

Iā€™m currenlty not sure, where is the node in your thoughts. The vertical-stack-in-card was an example. You can use whatever around the grid, as long as it brings an ha-card element to start card-modding. So yes, it will work, as long as you are using my examples and not elaborating whyever new ideas, which are of course not working. I showed two ways. Both are working with mod-card as well.

type: custom:mod-card
card_mod:
    :host { --grid-card-gap: 100px; }
card:

and

card_mod:
  style:
      #root { grid-gap: 100px !important; }
card:

BTW in first way, I am setting only the (existing, but not set) variable in host, which is then used later on.

Without such card around, you donā€™t have ha-card and it will not work.

well, I am doing that with a purpose, and have done so from the start. This is not the only grid card in the vertical-stack. I can not set it on the stack for that matter.

thats why I use mod-card.

I now see that:

card_mod:
          --grid-card-gap: 0px;
        }

also works indeed.

no node, just exploring different options. of all of the options, this seems to be the most stable. SO thank you very much!

final solution, a perfectly adjusting row of 10 buttons, no gap, no box-shadow (set in the individual cards), and no peeking background color (as on the stack-in-card)

just found/realized we can do this on a regular horizontal-stack too:

card_mod:
      --stack-card-margin: 0px;
    }
card:
  type: horizontal-stack
  cards:

which is a mod Ive been looking for since a very long timeā€¦ #TIL
this can replace a lot of other stuff in the config, and is so concise.
once you see it it is so obviousā€¦

1 Like