šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Add css styles to any lovelace card

Post a screenshot of the cart and point at the element you want to color.

Hi,

and thank you very much for your many samples with card-mod.

Now I try to to mod the custom logbook card and get the fonts smaller but not the space between header and the logbook data?

Screen_20221128-182536

Very nice would be coloring of the icons from the entity state.

Any idea?
Steffen

Tanke this as stating point

card_mod:
      style: |
        h1 { 
          display:none;
        }
        .date {
          color:var(--secondary-text-color);
          font-size:12px !important;
        }
        .duration {
          font-size:14px !important;
          font-style: initial !important;
        }
        .key, .value {
          font-size:12px !important;
          color:var(--secondary-text-color);      
        }
        .item-content span:first-child {
          display: inline-block;
          width: 80%;
        }
        ha-icon { color: red !important }

And use the developer tools to find the right (other) things to adapt accoring to this exmaples.

As I currently have the card configured, I need to be able to change the font to a lighter color for the card name, source name, mute, and source dropdown arrow.

Sorry, not using this card.

Described.

What is that?
Also, you are using a ā€œcustom skinā€ or something - which makes your card looking absolutely differently from a default look. I hardly can see other elements you want to style.

Thank you, coloring the icon is working, but reduce the border and space between the parts I will look at the dev tools.

OK, thank you. I have study many of your post and there are card-mod parts to the logbook card too. Thats the cause I ask, but I will try further.

Standard Logbook card, not the custom one.

What do you mean by ā€œdescribed?ā€ The source dropdown arrow is an arrow that points downward that, when clicked, shows all of the media_playerā€™s sources in a dropdown menu.

Yes, I have a theme applied that works well for most of my cards. But in light mode, this one is unreadable, so Iā€™m trying to change the font color for just this card.

Means - ā€œdescribed in the post for mini-media-playerā€ (1st post ā†’ link at the bottom).

Try to play with styles from the mentioned post with a default theme - see if your elements changed; then test it with your custom theme.

I do not have it on my card ))). Probably to show it I need to specify smth in my cardā€™s code? Since I am not using this card - I do not know how to display it.

Ah, I honestly didnā€™t see that there was a sub-thread dedicated to mmp. I was using some of the other ones as reference. But, Iā€™m halfway there.

Iā€™m not getting the mute button to change.

card_mod:
    .entity__info__name  {color: white !important;}
    .entity__info__media {color: white !important;}
    .mmp-player .mmp-player__adds:
      mmp-media-controls:
        $:
          .mmp-media-controls__volume.flex:
            ha-icon-button:
              $: |
                mwc-icon-button {
                  color: white !important;
                }

Once I get that right, I think Iā€™ll be able to reverse-engineer the DOM for the dropdown and adapt the mute controls as well, but if you have an idea what that should look like, that would also be helpful.

Hereā€™s the dom hierarchy for the dropdown:

As a learning point, since CSS is so hierarchical, why canā€™t I just specify a single color for all things within the card using a single variable? Thatā€™s what I thought pointing at ha-card would accomplish initially.

Probably because you made an error here.

May be, I have not tried this too hard - I am not using this card.
But I doubt that there is a variable for a color for a particular button, only for all buttons probablyā€¦

Sure enough, removing the pipe makes the mute button white, but then both text fields revert back to dark. I donā€™t really know the purpose of the pipe. How do you use it on only a part of the CSS?

Check other examples combining ā€œgo in to shadowRootā€ and ā€œdo not goā€ ways - you will see a pattern like this:

card_mod:
  style:
    element_1 $: |
      element_2 {...}
    .: |
      element_1 {...}

This is the simplest pattern; in a real life a structure may be more complex - but it is of the same pattern (nested, cascaded etc).

If you mean those first 2 line (ā€œ.entity__info__nameā€, ā€¦) - surely these lines are misplaced now, look at the pattern I described above.

1 Like

I think I need some sort of CSS basics tutorial (as it applies to card-mod) to even start to apply your help (which Iā€™m sure is good) to my situation. I need to understand what Iā€™m doing to adapt it rather than trying to comb through a bunch of examples and blindly trying them out. For example, what exactly are $ | .: doing and how do I know when to use them or not?

I have read this many timesā€¦thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod: :small_blue_diamond: Add CSS styles to (almost) any lovelace card (github.com). I donā€™t get how to translate what I see in the DOM Navigator to card-mod speak (CSS?).

I am not a CSS expert at all. Never dealt with a web programming / web design myself.
It is like a neural network - step-by-step educate yourself, find patterns, experiment, ā€¦ so on )))

Check this example:

- type: entities
    title: Title
    icon: mdi:car
    entities:
      - sun.sun
      - sun.sun
    card_mod:
      style:
        .card-content div:
          hui-text-entity-row $ hui-generic-entity-row $: |
            state-badge {
              color: magenta;
            }
        .: |
          .card-header .name .icon {
            color: cyan;
          }
          .card-header .name {
            color: red;
          }

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ

How it works:
1.For EACH element ā€œ.card-content divā€ go in to shadowRoot (deeper ā€¦ deeperā€¦),
2ā€¦and apply a style for ā€œstate-badgeā€ element.
3. Starting from an initial level (i.e. ā€œ.card-content divā€) go to ā€œ.card-headerā€ element, then apply styles for some sub-elements.

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ

As for the ā€œpipeā€ - google about ā€œmultiline yamlā€ and check this code which does the SAME:

type: entities
title: Title
icon: mdi:car
entities:
  - sun.sun
  - sun.sun
card_mod:
  style:
    .card-content div:
      hui-text-entity-row $ hui-generic-entity-row $: 'state-badge {color: magenta;}'
    .: '.card-header .name .icon {color: cyan;} .card-header .name {color: red;}'
3 Likes

Check out the tool that was recommended here. Though itā€™s not exactly a tutorial, it helped me find my way around CSS hierarchy many times.

I have a little card mod which changes the size of the card header - thats all nice.

But I would really like to be able to change all the button cards margin top:

My code so farā€¦

card_mod:
  style:
    hui-vertical-stack-card:
      $: |
        h1.card-header {
          padding: 5px;
          font-size: 15px;
          line-height: 15px;
        }

Can anyone help me - i simply cannot figure out what and how to add it to my existing code?

testing the beautiful sankey-chart card Ive run into an issue not being able to mod the card-header with the regular mod I use throughout my system: Anyone using the Sankey Chart Card? - #102 by Mariusthvdb

SchermĀ­afbeelding 2022-11-28 om 17.08.34
and

but

.card-header {
      background-color: var(--background-color-off);
      color: var(--text-color-off);
      padding-top: 0px;
      padding-bottom: 0px;
      margin: 0px 0px 8px 0px;
    }

directly, or as a card-mod-class wont do it. I can use an entities card around this sankey,

type: entities
title: Energie verbruik
card_mod:
  class: class-header-margin
entities:

- type: custom:hui-element
    card_type: custom:sankey-chart
    card_mod:
        ha-card {
          margin: -8px -16px -16px -16px;
          box-shadow: none:
        }

but would hope that not to be the only possibility.
Please have a look with me how to mod the card-header? thx!

btw @Ildar_Gabdullin ive had issues with history-graph, and re-checked šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Add css styles to any lovelace card - #1524 by Ildar_Gabdullin but

- type: history-graph
    title: Temperatuur - Verwarming
    card_mod:
        .type-history-graph .card-header {
            background-color: var(--background-color-off);
            font-weight: 400;
            font-size: 20px;
            color: var(--text-color-off);
            padding: 0px 12px;
            margin: 0px 0px 16px 0px;
          }

doesnt work either. Did something change in these mods?