šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Super-charge your themes!

Yes, this has been disabled and will be introduced later, was mentioned somewhere in the changes or this thread. I use a button-card myself to go to settings page, which then shows me the menu icon again.

you can test it (swipe the menu) running the beta app

Thanks. I just noticed that for some reason my app hadnā€™t updated. I looked in updates under app store and didnā€™t see it, had to go to the homeassistant app in app store and then it asked me if I wanted to update, and it fixed itā€¦

Still canā€™t figure out how to kill the chevrons again thoughā€¦

i found a solution for my header issue if someone else want to update there theme

card-mod-root: |
    .header {
      display: none;
    }
    #view {
      margin: 0 !important;
      height: 100% !important;
    }
1 Like

In my LCARS theme, I have managed to squash all but one remaining bug introduced by HA 2023.4.x, and that is the border on the right side of the sidebar:

As you can see, it takes its toll on the overall aesthetic of the theme. The problem is, the CSS for this border is pretty high up in the DOM, unreachable by Card-mod as far as I can tell:

I can change the color of --mdc-theme-surface to match its surroundings, but due to the size of the border, it still leaves a semi-transparent seam, and the line is still visible down the rest of the sidebar beneath the radius. Iā€™m attempting to include my own .js file to get at the UI directly, which loads, but the first shadowRoot element always turns up null causing the script to fail. I havenā€™t been able to find a solution to it, though I assume itā€™s because the script loads before any shadow DOM elements load, and I havenā€™t found a way to make it wait until the shadow elements load. Below is my .js file.

document.querySelector("body > home-assistant")
        .shadowRoot.querySelector("home-assistant-main")
        .shadowRoot.querySelector("ha-drawer")
        .shadowRoot.querySelector("aside")
        .querySelector(".mdc-drawer")
        .style.borderRightStyle = 'unset';

I like the idea of fixing this with .js, as I have been planning on doing more with JS to add extra features like sound effects to the theme. Any ideas are welcome.

1 Like

Nice!

i did the same thing only my script is somehow longer: :smiley:

class CustomStyle {
  refs = {
    ha: null,
    main: null,
    drawer: null,
    drawer: null,
    sidebar: null,
    menu: null,
  }

constructor() {
    try {
      this.refs.ha = document.querySelector("home-assistant")
      this.refs.main = this.refs.ha?.shadowRoot.querySelector("home-assistant-main")?.shadowRoot
      this.refs.drawer = this.refs.main?.querySelector("ha-drawer")?.shadowRoot
      this.refs.sidebar = this.refs.main?.querySelector("ha-sidebar")
      this.refs.menu = this.refs.sidebar?.shadowRoot.querySelectorAll(".menu")[0]
      this.run()
    } catch (ex) { }
  }

run = () => {
    console.info(`%c  CUSTOM-STYLE-MODE IS LOADED  `, "color: #ff9800; font-weight: bold; background-color: black")
    setTimeout(() => {
	  try {
        this.refs.drawer.querySelector("aside").style.borderRightStyle = "unset"
	  } catch(error) { }
    }, 1)
  }
}

Promise.resolve(customElements.whenDefined("hui-view")).then(() => {
  window.customStyle = new CustomStyle()
})

1 Like

I believe the latest update of Kiosk mode handles this same issue, have a look what they do?

1 Like

Hey, I donā€™t care if your script is longer! Yours works and mine doesnā€™t. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

haha youre welcome!
pretty funny how anyoing 1px border can be :smiley: haha
i used to have more custom stuff in there but after last update things changed a lotā€¦ so i was like, downgrading my customizationsā€¦ so not every home assistant update i have to update also custom stuffā€¦

Hmmm, I spoke too soon. I am not seeing the script work. I see the CUSTOM STYLE on the console, but the line persists and I see no evidence of the style even attempting to be applied. How are you loading the .js? I suspect I may be loading it in the wrong place, which is in configuration.yaml, lcars_copy.js:

frontend:
  javascript_version: latest
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes
  extra_module_url:
    - /local/community/lovelace-card-mod/card-mod.js
    - /local/community/lcars-js/lcars_copy.js

In configuration.yaml:

# Default
lovelace:
  mode: yaml
  resources:
    # version: 0.11.0
    - url: /local/modules/mini-graph-card/mini-graph-card-bundle.js
      type: module

# version: 1.16.4
    - url: /local/modules/mini-media-player/mini-media-player-bundle.js

# version: 3.5.0
    - url: /local/modules/button-card/button-card.js

# version: 1.1
    - url: /local/modules/custom-style/custom-style.js

# version: 1.0
    - url: /local/modules/custom-style/custom-style.css
      type: css

Result (border is gone):

Again to test, i commented it out, and then i get:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been dealing with a couple of small issues today and I just noticed I have this message in the console:

You may not be getting optimal performance out of card-mod.
See https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod#performance-improvements

Yet I have:

frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes/
  extra_module_url:
    - /hacsfiles/lovelace-card-mod/card-mod.js

in configuration.yaml

Any ideas?

Iā€™d love to be getting ā€˜optimal performance out of card-modā€™ like everyone else.
Canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed any issues but hey, you know what itā€™s likeā€¦

Thanks so much! Iā€™ll try in lovelace as you have configured, but I also just got it working as I have it in frontend and just changed the promise from hui-view to paper-listbox instead, and it works!

1 Like

I think I saw a couple of bug reports about that. From what I can tell, itā€™s a false positive, or maybe just configured to tell you no matter if itā€™s set up or not.

1 Like

So same as I asked in the blog-thread as well. I really donā€™t like if someone adds hard-coded values.

Currently Iā€™m lost in what is the working configuration in your case. Which file to create, place and add where?

EDIT: O.k. got it. It is working with hui-view at the moment. Thanks a lot to both of you.

EDIT2: Worked only once for some seconds. Now updated to paper-listbox as well and it is stable. Letā€™s see how long.

paper-listbox has been working reliably for me, except when Cloudflare disabled development mode for my site and reinstated the old cache. Just did a cache-clear on Cloudflare and it worked after that!

its also stable with hui-viewā€¦ change is that sometimes you get cached version / clear cache / force refreshā€¦

Ive been using my script for over a year without problems (except last update but my change worked perfectly :+1::ok_hand:)

Someone very thoughtfully thought we should all be blessed with these stupid useless chevrons again.

I have the following theme mods:

card-mod-theme: ios-dark-mode-blue-red-mod
  card-mod-root: |
    .edit-mode, app-header, app-toolbar, .header, .toolbar {
      background: url('/hacsfiles/themes/ios-themes-mod/homekit-bg-blue-red.jpg') !important;
    }
  header-height: 48px

Iā€™m also not sure the background isnā€™t also not working at the moment. How can I get rid of the chevrons?

1 Like

I have hided them this way:

card-mod-root-yaml: |
    .: |
      paper-tab.iron-selected {
        color: gray;
        transition: color 0s !important;
      }
      paper-tab {
        color: gray;
        transition: color 0s !important;
      }
      ha-tabs {
        --paper-tabs-selection-bar-color: gray !important;
      }
      ::-webkit-scrollbar {
        width: 15px;
        background: var(--background-color);
      }
      ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
        border-radius: var(--ha-card-border-radius);
        background: var(--ha-card-background);
      }
    ha-tabs$: |
      paper-icon-button { display: none !important; }

ofc only the second path/last css is relevant, but I wanted to leave both to prevent the question how to add that to existing settings.

2 Likes

Anyone know how to add a margin to the header?