Card type: subview

Hi all,

There are a lot of Lovelace\Dashboard addons available in HACS, like for instance the Tabbed Card or the Swipe Card. These custom cards allow the use of other (native and\or custom) cards within their configurations.

The main problem with most of these cards-within-a-card setups is that configuration has to be done by editing the card’s yaml code, which is mostly done by copying yaml code from another existing dashboard. This makes maintaining dashboard code a chore and prone to errors.

I would like to propose a change to HA’s code so that a card type can also be a dashboard subview (by path).

With this change, any custom card yaml configuration would require only minimal entries (cards only pointing to the subview path), while its displayed (true) content can now be editted fully by using the dashboard GUI.

While I do know my way around basic coding, I am not a HA developer and don’t know if this proposal is even technically feasible. My gut feeling says this should be possible and even not too hard to do…

Imho, this would make dashboard creation much easier and simpler (especially for novice users), as well as make the entire dashboard config more transparent.

Hope I have explained this well enough for others to see the potential as well…
Very best wishes and thanks, DenW

Someone has already made this for you:

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion, but after reading the documentation of this solution (and unless I’m missing something here…) this does not appear to do what I am proposing.
For instance, the linked-lovelace-ui specifically states only one card can be rendered.
My suggestion is to have the entire subview (as configured in the GUI) rendered by the card type subview.
Besides that, I’d also like to see something like this be a integral part of HA.
Thanks, DenW