Carrier/Bryant Infinitive Integration

One thing I did notice yesterday. I currently have my RS-485 connected to my HVAC as instructed in the doc but I was wondering if I could connect it to the Damper Control Module instead as it gives me access to both thermostat (1 per zone) and therefore I’d simply install a second RS-485 and run 2 infinitive instance on my Pi and be done with it.

Here’s the documentation about the module in case you have any questions :

@mww012 hope all is well! Been a while since I bugged you about Infinitive! :wink:

I noticed the other day that what used to show up as a single thermostat entity in HomeKit (passed from HoneAssistant) is now showing a thermostat entity and a fan entity in HomeKIt (Apple Home App). This would be cool, but the status of the fan is not accurate - it shows always on.

Have you seen this? I can’t recall if you are using HomeKit with HA.

Thanks!

1 Like

I use it with HomeKit and noticed the fan entity also, but my fan shows off (but probably because the system is off). I’ll have to check it next time I turn it on

Hey @scott.parmenter. I think this came in with the 2022.3 update. I’ve glanced through the release notes but didn’t see anything specific to this as far as HomeKit updates are concerned. I am see it though.

Mine seems to be working mostly fine. It controls the fan speed to high/med/low and can enable/disable auto. I see those changes reflected on the thermostat when I change it on my phone. What it can’t do is turn the fan off but not even the infinitive web ui does that for my system.

What’s the behavior you’re seeing when you make a change in the home app on your phone?

@mww012 thanks for the response. I too see that I can now control the fan through HomeKit. The issue I’m seeing is the fan always shows on in HomeKit even when it is not.

@mww012 any chance you’ve looked in to this further?

Hey! I started looking into it last week. I didn’t get to put a lot of time into it though. I’m going to try to tackle it this week. Sorry, been stretched kinda thin lately.

FYI to anyone using this component - do not upgrade to HA 2022.4.X until there is a release that includes the extra_state_attributes fix. I updated this morning, right after the HA 2022.4.0 release, and I lost my current_humidity attribute, among the others that fall under this category:

return {
            ATTR_CURRENT_HUMIDITY: self._current_humidity,
            ATTR_TARGET_HUMIDITY: self._target_humidity,
            ATTR_BLOWER_RPM: self._blower_rpm,
            ATTR_STAGE: self._stage,
            ATTR_OVERRIDE_DURATION: self._override_duration,
            ATTR_AIRFLOW_CFM: self._airflow_cfm,
            ATTR_OUTDOOR_TEMP: self._outdoor_temp,
            ATTR_AUX_HEAT: self._aux_heat,
            ATTR_HEATPUMP_COIL_TEMP: self._heatpump_coil_temp,
            ATTR_HEATPUMP_OUTSIDE_TEMP: self._heatpump_outside_temp,
            ATTR_HEATPUMP_STAGE: self._heatpump_stage,
        }

Once I rolled back to 2022.3.8, my attributes returned.

Hey @strikeir13! Good timing. I actually put a fix in yesterday. I’ll publish that release this evening. I definitely don’t want to be the reason people can’t upgrade.

1 Like

I just published v0.0.9. That I upgraded to 2022.4 and all my stuff is still there so I believe this should fix your issue.

1 Like

@scott.parmenter For the HomeKit integration, what behavior are you expecting? Are you wanting the Speed reading in HomeKit to show the currently running speed?

My HVAC fan has high/med/low/auto as options. I can turn the whole system off but I can’t manually turn the fan itself off. It seems that the fan part of the HVAC device in HomeKit shows the set speed (100% for higher auto/66% for med/33% for low) instead of the actual running speed. Mine is normally on Auto and it still shows my fan speed at 100%. I’m still digging but I don’t know if it’s something we can do. I’d really like to make that work though.

Do you have any other adjustable fans in HomeKit? If so, how do they behave?

@mww012 my setup sounds to be the same as yours with similar behavior. The issue that I’m not thrilled with is that when my system is set to Auto (which is all the time) the fan in HomeKit show 100% even when it is not actually running.
Ideally the fan would show 0% when the fan is not actually running. I’d also be fine with the fan not even showing up in HomeKit like it used to be. But others may feel differently. I don’t have any other fans in HomeKit. I have an Ecobee setup on another HVAC and the fan with that unit is absent from HomeKit.

@mww012 I thought I would check in to see if there is anything I could do or test to help out with the issue I shared previously?

Hey! Currently there’s not much going on. I started working on it and tried a few things that didn’t behave the way we wanted.

Then last week my MacBook decided it didn’t know what power was anymore and is now a very fancy coaster. I’m in the middle of repairing it and hopefully will have it going in the next week. Then we can get back to business.

@mww012 any luck?

Has any run into the issue where setting a fan speed (low, medium, high) results in the fan running at >800 rpm regardless of which speed was selected? We keep our fan running 24/7 and it’s usually around 300-400 rpm. I’ve encountered this numerous times and I can’t ever remember what I do to get it to run at the lower rpms again. It seems to require the right heat/cool setting, but it’s hard to reproduce.

That’s odd. I’ve been without a machine for a while but recently got an old one from a friend so hopefully I can get back into this soon.

Down side is we literally lost our AC unit today. Had a quick power hit and now the compressor won’t come on. It’s an old unit but hopefully they can just fix it and not have to replace it.

As soon as I’m back in working order I’ll dive back into this.

Oh, if you manually set the speed on the thermostat itself does it work properly?

Hi
Broken a/c. Check starting cap and relay. Cap will be enlarged but can be checked with meter. Both are cheap and easily replaced. That’s the route I go before making a service call. Everything on YouTube

No issues with fan speed but will now double check.

Check fan low 875, med 1295. So it’s normal