Cast a webpage

Requesting the ability to directly cast a webpage to chromecast via HA.

As I understand, chromecast functionality is provided via pychromecast which includes the DashCast namespace (https://github.com/balloob/pychromecast/pull/184). It would be great to have media_player.play_media updated to include a media_content_type or url or DashCast.

I’ve had some success using docker, pychromecast, DashCast, and MQTT. Actually, this has been pretty solid in my testing/use over the past month.

It effectively replaces Backdrop on my Chromecast with an AppDaemon Dashboard, but I can also set the URL via MQTT.

This would be great.

@RagingComputer does this docker image on arm? i.e. raspberry pi? because I have my docker set up on raspberry pi. Is there anyway around this?

I would love to have a Hassio add-on for this :D.

Did you create a hassio addon?

Hi, thank you very much for this, I’ve been using it successfully for quite a while now, however since the latest chromecast update on my NVIDIA Shield seems it stopped working. On the chromecasts I’m having still works correctly, however on nvidia shield, it looks like it starts the chromecast app and closes almost right away (before the webpage is actually loaded). I have also tried the original project (madmod/dashcast-docker) and this seems to still be working (randomly). Is there any chance for an updated version, are you still maintaining the project?
Thank you in advance.

I finally had a chance to look into it. Updated to pychromecast 4.1.0, which fixed a couple of my devices.

Is t cAsting of webpages possible eith a ha integration?

Thanks for this @RagingComputer. I just tried it out and while it does work when I send a JSON message via mqtt, when my shield screensaver turns on it turns on the default pictures screensaver. Am I assuming incorrectly that it should bring up my webpage as the screensaver?

+1 for this. Also looking to cast a webpage via HA to a Chromecast. I still haven’t found any good options built into HA. I have to cast a browser from a server which is a much more heavyweight solution and has its own drawbacks.

Any chance of getting this added? As OP mentioned, pychromecast already has support for it.