Cast and re-cast a lovelace view to a Google Hub

Unfortunately casting the HA dashboard (to Google Hub) (thus this blueprint) has not been working for a month and half (or so). This appears to be related to the update to the Fuscia OS on the Google Home (Nest) hub. This issue is being tracked here. https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/53882

Hi!

Just got a Nest Hub Max by promising the Mrs that it can show the calendar all the time while I tossed the physical one.

Is there any way to get the Calender to show on the Hub? I know the device itself cannot do it unless you navigate to it. Can I get it to show the calendar every time there is movement?

Any tips would be grateful appreciated!!

This automation is great and Iā€™ve been using it for a few weeks with no issues.

Does anyone know the secret to getting Webpage cards (iFrame) to showcase correctly on the dashboard?

I have Blue Iris and while the static images of the feeds that update ever 10 seconds are great, I want one of my tiles to be a rotating live image of all camera feeds that comes from Blue Iris UI3 via a direct link. It was originally working with an internal IP under HTTP, but it appears that now is showing up blank in the projection (works fine via phone app and browser). The same happens with HTTPS. As I said, this was working for weeks without issue, but it just stopped one day and Iā€™ve been unable to get it to work again.

Whatā€™s required to get Webpage cards to show properly via casting to a chromecast device?

Im lucky I stumbled on this blue print or I would never had any success.
I am trying some of my own automations using cast but they dont work unless I use this blue print first ?
I cannot figure out what the maker of this blue print is doing that makes it work. The various calls to the chromecast seem to make it work.
Does anybody know? a simple service call doesnt seem to work but this blueprint does?

Can anyone confirm that the Nest Hub (Gen 2) still works (post Fuchsia update)? They are on sale (about everywhere currently) for $49 bucks. For that price, I might bite the bullet.

I can tell you it definitely does not work for me. It worked great before the Fuscia update, but now the casting lasts a few seconds before my Google home goes back to sleep, so itā€™s pretty much unusable. Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s a solution at some point because it made my Google home so much more useful.

1 Like

I just purchased a Google Nest Hub to use with this and Iā€™m also running into the 10s loop issue. Seems like if it worked as it used to this would be fantastic!

1 Like

You should no longer use this Blueprint, the Cast app has been updated to prevent timing out, and a re-cast should not be needed.

At least the trigger on paused should be removed, as the Lovelace app will have a paused state now when active.

- platform: state
    entity_id: !input 'player'
    to: paused
    for: 00:00:20
2 Likes

I just switched to the default HA ā€œcast.show_lovelace_viewā€ service yesterday. It seemed like it was still timing out at first, but I think I may have resolved that by rebooting the Google Home.

Iā€™m wondering what the recommended trigger is for this now though if re-casting is no longer necessary? I currently have a Time Pattern trigger setup to run every 10 minutes, but now Iā€™m wondering if it should be run less frequently?

Whatā€™s the best path forward? Modify existing blueprint, create new one, or brand new automation?

Curious what others who have this up and running are doing.

I disabled the automation that uses this blueprint and created a new automation. As I posted above, Iā€™m not sure if my time frequency is optimal, but so far it seems to be working fine and the HA screen is still up after nearly a full day. Hereā€™s my automation if it helps, of course youā€™d need to customize the 3 items under ā€œdataā€ to match your setup.

alias: Cast to Google Hub - B
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /10
condition: []
action:
  - service: cast.show_lovelace_view
    data:
      entity_id: media_player.kitchen_display
      dashboard_path: lovelace-displays
      view_path: kitchen-display
mode: restart
1 Like

You donā€™t need the

- platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /10

it will stay active as long as nothing else is casted/the casting is actively stopped, or the device reboots (Google does that at night) so just starting it at night after the reboot should be enough

1 Like

The next version of Home Assistant (2021.12) will change the state from paused to casting when Lovelace is active, so then this blueprint will work againā€¦ until then removing the paused trigger, or change it to a from: playing, to: paused, should do the trick.

1 Like

Apologies to some of you for posting the same info here and Githubā€¦

When I try to run the service from developer tools, I get the ā€˜HA <3s Nabu - Connectedā€™ screen, and then nothing. No lovelace view, nothing.

This is what Iā€™m running. What am I doing wrong?

service: cast.show_lovelace_view
data:
  dashboard_path: lovelace-room
  view_path: cast
  entity_id: media_player.kitchen_hub

Is your Home Assistant installation accessible via https:// ?

Yes, using Nabu

Thanks. Created my own automation like this, but something just isnā€™t working now. I now am getting the error that indicates itā€™s unable to find the path of my dashboard.

HA <3 Nabu Casa
Connected
Error: Unable to find a view with path

But if I re-run the automation from the BluePrint in this thread, it worksā€¦just gets continual reloads more frequently than before.

Is this related to the change coming next month? Any suggestions or ideas as to whatā€™s going on?

UPDATE - now this automation is no longer working for me at all. It seems that Cast has stopped completely for me. Any ideas whatā€™s going on?

Have been pulling my hair out on this one as checked and rechecked, finally figured it out you need to put ā€œpathā€ not path use the yaml editor to do this as the GUI will remove the ā€œā€ i.e. my script yaml looks like this

alias: Cast Cam to Chromecast
sequence:

• service: media_player.volume_mute
    data:
    is_volume_muted: true
  • service: media_player.turn_off
    data:
  • delay:
    seconds: 2
  • service: media_player.turn_on
    data:
  • service: cast.show_lovelace_view
    data:
    dashboard_path: ā€œlovelaceā€
    view_path: ā€œRearā€
  • delay:
    seconds: 10
  • service: media_player.volume_mute
    data:
    is_volume_muted: false

dashboard path should be ā€œlovelaceā€ unless you changed it, check in your browser what the url of the view is in my case //lovelace/Rear , View Path is set to view url (set this in view configuration) under URL (optional).

Only issue I have now is that while it shows the picture entity card I have itā€™s showing as blank, I beleive this may be timeout related on the cameras as I have seen this before in the Android app as well just shows the card as a big play button.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks for this. Will we have to make another change after 2021.12?

1 Like

For me the same, the cast isnā€™t working for a long time. Someone have ideas how to get this thing running?

1 Like