Cast / Chromecast devices not found

Since a few days I switched over from Amplifi to my new Unifi Equipment (USG, 2x AC-LR 1x AC-Mesh)

Somehow my Chromcast devices where unavailable in Home Assistant and since I removed them I couldn’t add them via “Integrations”.

The message what I will get is:

Aborted

No Google Cast devices found on the network.

I can add them via the configuration.yaml, but then I don’t see my groups what I have created.

cast:
  media_player:
    - host: 192.168.1.36
    - host: 192.168.1.37
    - host: 192.168.1.70
    - host: 192.168.1.120
    - host: 192.168.1.150
    - host: 192.168.1.165
    - host: 192.168.1.180
    - host: 192.168.1.181

Can you see your Cast Devices on your Androids?
Do you use VLans? I can only recommend to follow this guide:

And to use the live chat/ troubleshoot with a unifi service employee in your controller. This helped me a lot

1 Like

I’ve VLans but currenty not for Home Assistant or one of my Chromecast / Google devices.
Also I set everything correct according the guide of Unifi.

All the devices are visible from my iPhone even the speaker groups within Spotify.

Take a look at this:
Chromecasts on separate VLANs

I had some trouble with google home and google assistant the past week and was because duckdns was intermittently up and down.

Thanks for all the quick replies, at the end it was my temporary old router which is currently acting as a switch was blocking some traffic… Sorry to say :sweat_smile:

Kicked that one out and replaced it with a old switch while I’m waiting for my 2 new Unifi switches.

i have the same situation. But my chomecast can be found from my iphone, so mDNS is working ok, Only Home assistant can’t find it. Chromecast is on other vlan than HA, but iphone is on same LAN as HA and working ok. Did you ever solved it?

I simply added my HA to the VLans. That took care of it.

I changed at the end also a few settings in my USG router to enable mdns between my lan and vlan.

config.gateway.json

{
  "service": {
    "mdns": {
      "repeater": {
        "interface": [
          "eth1",
          "eth1.20"
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}

This is fact enabling mdns repeater. But I don’t have an usg router

Correct :slight_smile:

I couldn’t get this to work for a while. Then I remembered that I had enabled IGMP Snooping.
When I turned it off, it started working.

I’m not entirely sure this was the reason why it started working, but if not, it was a hell of an coincident.

I’m having the same problems as OP. I use the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and an Unifi AC-AP pro. All devices (including the chromecasts) are on the LAN network, no VLANs configured.

I tried all suggestions I’ve found on the forums, but still no luck. I had the same issues with my previous router. Not sure if this is router related or HA related.

This is the error message:

Error while setting up cast platform for media_player
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 199, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cast/media_player.py", line 129, in async_setup_entry
    [
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cast/media_player.py", line 130, in <listcomp>
    _async_setup_platform(hass, ENTITY_SCHEMA(cfg), async_add_entities)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 218, in __call__
    return self._exec((Schema(val) for val in self.validators), v)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 340, in _exec
    raise e if self.msg is None else AllInvalid(self.msg, path=path)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 336, in _exec
    v = func(v)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 272, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 817, in validate_callable
    return schema(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 272, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 594, in validate_dict
    return base_validate(path, iteritems(data), out)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 432, in validate_mapping
    raise er.MultipleInvalid(errors)
voluptuous.error.MultipleInvalid: extra keys not allowed @ data['host']

I opened an issue for this: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/44100

Turning off igmp snooping fixed it for me

1 Like

Came here to say that at some point I must have enabled IGMP snooping on my two TP-Link Easy Smart switches months ago, but after a reboot of HA it lost sight somehow of all Google Home/Nest/Chromecast devices. Turning IGMP snooping off resolved the issue.

My mobile had the ability to cast as all devices involved were on the WiFi, on the same switch segment and IGMP didn’t come into play. Worth also noting all my devices are in the same VLAN.

Same here. Turning IGMP snooping off solved the issue. FYI: HA and the devices are on the same (V)LAN.

I found I had to disable IPv6 on my Win10 PC. Likely all I had to do was turn it off on the card Virtual Box used to connect to the network (wired). But I turned it off on every single network card, wired, wireless, virtual. The casts immediately returned to operation for my HassOS VM.