Cast component - Different subnets - Speaker groups unavailable?

I have been changing the home network separating the devices in different subnets.

To solve the chromecast not being available in different networks I installed avahi-daemon in a computer that has one interface on each subnet.

To solve that the cast component doesn’t detect the devices in different subnets, I added the IP addresses of all chromecasts and google homes. Unfortunately I haven’t found the way to add the speaker groups to HA.

Is there any way to add the speaker groups to HA?

I read an issue in github, but haven’t gone so far installing netdisco…

I don’t suppose you ever figured out a solution to this? I’m dealing with the same problem because one of my devices is on a different subnet of my mesh network; but I also want to keep my speaker group.

Hey, I totally forgot this thread.
After googling and experimenting a little I have learned that:
-cast devices aren’t discoverable when they are in a different subnet (as stated in the cast component docs).
-to control cast devices form mobile phone one possible solution is to install “avahi-daemon” enabling the reflector mode on a linux machine with a network interface on each vlan. It will “reflect” the mdns announcements from the cast subnet to the home-assistant subnet.
-speaker (or chromecast) groups aren’t discoverable when they are in a different subnet.
-there is an optional parameter “port” that can be used for adding speaker groups
-when there is a change in the group, the speakers in the group change the leader ip and or the port, so the manual setting can be wrong.
-to detect the group port, it has been as simple as running python3 -m netdisco from a computer connected to the cast subnet.
-even setting the port, this group was neither discoverable nor usable at all.

My final solution:
I configured a virtual ethernet adapter addressed in a different subnet, so my HA listens to both subnets. This way HA can detect and use all chromecast, google homes and speaker groups. This can be done also with a second ethernet or wifi interface. I went the virtual ethernet adapter because I hadn’t free ethernet ports in my switch.

As you are in a meshed network I don’t know if it’s architecture will allow you to connect HA to the other subnet.

To be able to connect cast devices from other subnets I installed avahi daemon enabling the reflector mode as stated before.

Hope it helps others to loose less time with it.

Maybe to late but it is possible to cast to a different subnet.
Just use a mDSN repeater.

Indeed, stated in the solution post (I used avahi-reflector)

-to control cast devices form mobile phone one possible solution is to install “avahi-daemon” enabling the reflector mode on a linux machine with a network interface on each vlan. It will “reflect” the mdns announcements from the cast subnet to the home-assistant subnet.

I got my CC groups to show up in HASS but they’re continually going “unavailable” and creating errors to pop up in HASS. I have an mDNS reflector and repeater set up. I’ve also punched a number of holes in my firewall to try to allow the traffic through but so far not much luck. Anybody else seeing these errors/issue?

Running Docker in host mode, chromecasts are on an IOT VLAN (30) while HASS is on main VLAN (10).

Logger: pychromecast.socket_client
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:596
First occurred: 2:02:10 PM (12 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:39:18 PM
[Master Bedroom:42609] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:382
First occurred: 2:17:10 PM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:27:07 PM

[Master Bedroom:42609] Failed to connect to service Google-Cast-Group-401b2b9ef6e7471dbf32da238809e02b._googlecast._tcp.local., retrying in 5.0s

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:596
First occurred: 2:02:10 PM (12 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:39:18 PM

[Master Bedroom:42609] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection