Casting dashboards to Google Nest Hubs has become extremely unreliable

I have 10 Google Nest Hub v2 screens around my house that I cast a Home Assistant Dashboard too. While they’ve always been a bit finicky (and I wouldn’t recommend this setup to anyone), they were 90-95% reliable (after adding automated restarts and adding smart plugs to each one for automated power cycling once a day).

Here’s what the dashboards should look like:

I don’t remember the exact day it started, but in the last couple weeks, the reliability has dropped to 10-15%. I have to restart and recast multiple times to get a single screen to work. My single button reset for all of them used to work for 9-10 of them, now I’m lucky to get 2 of 10.

When they don’t work, sometimes they’re at a blank white or black screen, sometimes they show the default Google Nest Hub screen, and sometimes they show this:

The screens that do work seem slower to respond to button presses and status changes than they used to be.

I’m 99% certain that it wasn’t anything I did, as this seemed to happen overnight and with no manual changes to the configuration or from updating Home Assistant (this happened on 2023.5.4 and is still happening on 2023.06.1)

I’ve looked through the cast issues:

But none of these really seem to apply (and are currently all older than this issue). It’s weird because they sometimes still work as opposed to never work.

I did notice at least 2 of the Google Nest Hubs updating their software, so I wonder if an update that Google pushed caused the issue.

tl;dr: In the last few weeks, my 10 dashboards cast to Google Nest Hubs went from 90% reliable to 10% reliable. I don’t think I did anything to cause the problem.

Has anyone noticed casting to a Google Nest Hub is less reliable (last few weeks)?
And/or any thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve been finding the same thing - lots of white screens instead of the dashboard for the last few weeks. I’ve been meaning to see what version the Nest Hub is on, as I understand Google either has already or is in the process of updating to Fuschia OS. Perhaps this was the change that broke things.

1 Like

Mine dropped recently totally from the network. Just cannot get them working again. Quite common issue related to the google account linking. Must be the software update.
Lenovo smart clocks and smart displays continue working.

I gave up and am switching to Android tablets. I’ve finally abandoned my attempt to make casting to Google Nest Hubs work (should have done this a year ago). I spent dozens of hours trying to mitigate the issues including automatic periodic recasting and power cycles via smart plugs (which helped some).

While the Google Nest Hub has a great auto-dimming screen at night and was easier to setup (not counting mitigation work), it was always unreliable for casting and the dashboard was very slow to respond to touches. It was also too slow to ever play a live doorbell camera feed.

I’m switching to Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite tablets. The screen, while a little larger, doesn’t look as good at night, but the tablet is proving to be way faster and way more reliable if more initial work to setup than the Google Nest Hubs. And live camera feeds work now.
(It was also way more work to figure out aesthetic mounting options)

I’m using Fully Kiosk to display the dashboard on the tablets. Happy with how that’s working so far.

tl;dr: Don’t use Googe Nest Hubs for casting dashboards, they never worked well for this purpose and now they’re worse.

Damn, I was just looking at buying a couple google nest hubs to use as HA displays since they are on sale right now in my area. I was hoping I could have it be my main viewpoint into HA but then still be able to mix in light usage of google ecosystem stuff like photos/music/voice/etc. Sounds like it’s a bust though… off to look at cheap samsung tablets I guess :_(

Yeah, it’s too bad they don’t work reliably because when they did work, it was pretty great. That said, in my experience, casting dashboards was never what you’d call reliable and the Google Nest Hubs (even v2) were always underpowered for the task.

I wonder if the new Google tablet that just released might work okay, but it’s $500.

That said, I’ve made the transition to Android tablets and it’s amazing waking up in the morning to see that ALL of the dashboards are working.

1 Like