CC2531 USB dongle + Sonoff Zigbee Bridge. Gateway vs Coordinator

Hi all,

I have used a CC2531 USB dongle in my HA for long with the ZHA integration. The range is not really good so I just got the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge in the house.

Does the SZB need to be flashed? I want the USB Dongle to be the Gateway and the SZB to be a coordinator to add range.

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

In Zigbee terminology, there is no such thing as a gateway (although IKEA calls there coordinator a gateway)
I think you want your ZbBridge to be the coordinator, and your CC2531 to be a router ?

In that case: flash the CC2531 with the router firmware, and if you want to use the ZbBridge with ZHA, flash it with Tasmota.

Be advised: using the ZbBridge as coordinator is not advised.

Hi @francisp.

I clearly have missed the right wording (trying to at least).

The USB Dongle is on my server and is the main integration - I was just looking for a way to extend the range and bought the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge.

If I should get away with the CC2531 altogether it is fine - and I can just use the bridge when flashed.

I will read through your link.

THANKS!

Update: I see the Bridge has caused some issues especially when the Wifi is not strong

Difference between an end device, a router and a coordinator :

1 Like

must use a USB extension cable, the more zigbee devices you add the stronger the mesh network will become.

Did you make any progress in improving your Zigbee range by using the bridge instead of the dongle? I have a similar experience but I started off with the bridge and thought that I might get better connectivity with the dongle only to discover that the experience was significantly worse. I’m not considering flashing the bridge so that I can use it with Z2MQTT as a coordinator and using my dongle as a router.

Just out of curiosity, how many Zigbee devices would be considered a robust mesh system? Currently, I have 27 Zigbee devices but of those, 20 are end devices.

Just wanted to add an update to my Zigbee experience. I have been experimenting with different ZB devices and controllers over the past 6 months and I think I have finally arrived at a solution that appears to be robust.

While I had initially started off with the Sonoff Zigbee wifi bridge, I switched over to the Sonoff USB dongle for better integration with HA. The majority of my ZB devices had been split between two manufacturers: Sonoff and Sengled. I have recently added a number of Ikea Tradfri devices and I now have a total of 35 devices, 11 of which have repeater functionality built in (compared to 7 previously).

To create a stronger mesh system, I first moved my pi and ZB dongle to a more centralized location. I then added repeating devices to strengthen areas that had weaker signals. I have read but cannot confirm that ZB is a “healing” system where overtime, it develops and learns how to best create a network. I can report that while initially I had devices that frequently lost its connection, this is less and less the case. In almost every situation, the device that loses a connection is one that does not repeat. I have read mixed reviews of Ikea Tradfri devices but in my experience, they are the most consistent ZB devices in my system. I would not recommend Sengled devices not only because they do not repeat but because they seem to integrate better with the Sengled ZB hub and less so with external hubs. I would say to do your research with Sonoff devices. I had purchased two of the mini-l modules only to learn that they do not repeat. Their ZB plugs are affordable enough that one could easily purchase a few of those and scatter them around just to strengthen a network.

I have two Sonoff ZB wifi bridges sitting around. I had hoped to flash them and convert them into repeaters but sadly the USB to TTL adapter I bought was dead on arrival. When I have time, I’ll probably buy a few more to finish the job.

2 Likes