Ceiling Fan Control with reverse

I’d like to be able to control my ceiling fan through HA. Its remote and controller look identical to this:
EXCEPT instead of the “8H” button, it has “R/F” to reverse fan direction and the controller has 2 extra wires, red and orange. It doesn’t appear any commonly available smart controller like iFan03 can handle direction change. There is no FCC ID or anything on the controller or remote that would indicate its frequency. Does anyone know if remotes similar to the one in the pic are a common frequency like 433MHz? If it does use a common frequency, what would be the best way to control it? I know emulating the remote won’t support states, but is it important to support states? Right now I’m not sure that’s an absolute necessity.

My setup is using a VM on a PC, so whatever hardware I use on the HA end needs to be USB.

You can take the remote apart and a lot of times there will be something indicating the frequency on the inside circuit board.

Take some pictures and post here if you don’t see anything useful.

I have seen fan controllers in 433 and something else that’s way less common, but I don’t remember what it was…

Anyway if it’s 433 I’d same the broadlink device is the way to go.

I was hesitant to take it apart because so many remotes these days just snap together and are painful to disassemble without breaking off plastic clips and getting tool marks all along the edges, but turns out this one was pretty easy and had 3 screws and 4 plastic clips on the sides. I also assumed ICs would be sanded down and unidentifiable, which turned out to be true, but I did get lucky and find the answer: The PCB itself is labeled “RF-433”. Doesn’t get any easier than that. :grinning:

Broadlinks seem to be a pricier solution. I know you get what you pay for, but I don’t mind doing some hacking. Could something like a Sonoff RF Bridge be made to work?

I can’t find my order, but I feel like I got my broadlink rm pro for like $30ish, it controls some of my IR stuff and some RF stuff too so I figured it was worth it.

However, before doing that I used something like this

With a raspberry pi.

Using a Pi seems a little overkill, but those little receiver/transmitter modules are definitely inexpensive.

I guess use of these type of devices never really took off?

Or could that work? Article said that guy wrote support for Node-RED which I’m not familiar with, but apparently it can connect to MQTT.

If I have a 433MHz setup going anyway, I also would like something that can read from those outdoor temp/humidity sensors as well.