Change back to old Light dialog

Hi,
The 2023.1 update introduced a new dialog for lights which looks cool, but isn’t much practical. Brightness and color are now split into two different dialogs and I have to switch between them when adjusting my lights. Is there a way to bring the old dialog back, or have both options shown next to each other like they used to?
Thanks.

9 Likes

I agree, everything is concentrated on that big slider. Not sure why, I have never had issues with the old style, but okay, maybe I am too old fashioned.

• For big screens it is definitely an overkill.
  • It’s wasting space, with more info I would prefer having more info available at once without having to click and click and click ( e.g. show already the history in addition instead of a very big slider). Maybe it would indeed make sense differing between big and small screens.
  • Shouldn’t SETTINGS be parts of the three dots menu? It’s something not used very often. As icon it’s wasting space of entity description.
  • Especially in light groups it looks a little bit strange with having all the group member with classic switches far away on the bottom.
  • It would be highly appreciated to be able to swipe back
4 Likes

Agree! I H A T E the new light dialogs.

They are pointless for use at the PC and even more so on tablets and smart phones. The amount of tapping when setting up a complex scene with 17 RGB lights is so frustrating! Especially when trying to fine-tune the combination of colour and brightness. it more than doubles taps (even more so the time itself, as changing windows seems to load the views from scratch). when going back and forth between brightness and colour it infinitely makes it more cumbersome. I have both a small and large smartphone - and never had issues. My wife has some Galaxy S* Mini - also never had an issue.

It looked so bad, that at first, I thought I broke some config.

2 Likes

I will say this is the first time I’ve been disappointed with a change. I fully expected an option to keep the old or possibly a “classic card” that kept the old. I’m not sure where to best voice this issue but I know I’m not the only one as well.

3 Likes

Agreed. Pretty sure we tried to fix what wasn’t broken.

1 Like

All in the name of clean design language… (mushroom UI inspired)
We want USABILITY not pretty as the focus (pretty is nice, usability is A MUST)

For me, as I do appreciate the touch-friendliness of the new inputs, there are 2 key issues:

1. Unless your device format can’t support it, temp/color should be visible on the same view (as I can imagine not every user requiring it, the “color icon” could be repurposed as a sticky (per HA instance, user or browser) toggle instead to allow for the “superclean” interface we see now
  2. Temperature & color should really be on the same view again
3 Likes

Anyone found a way to revert back to the old light dialogs? A mod perhaps? The new dialogs are ugly and impractical :frowning:

Sending my voice here as well. The new light dialog… I can live with the UI itself but. There is a severe limitation comes with it. Now I am forced to use percents. Meaning when I set 1% it is in fact brightness 3, not the lowest one. And I have to say I WANT to be able to set a bulb to its lowest brightness.

Give me at least some possibility to adjust the dialog to using 1-255 range and I’ll be happy more or less.

Please.

1 Like

I 100% agree with the above. The new light dialogue has worse UX, more clicking. I hoped that HA won’t be a victim of this new trend where UI designers desperately limit functionality to make everything even bigger and basic. But here it is. Color and white settings hidden in sub-menu. They could have at least left us a config to choose how dialogue looks like…

Anyone knows if there is a way to create your own light dialogue so that it’s available in dashboard?
I’m not fluent in python but god damn I’ll learn it just to move away from this new light card. Does anyone have any hints where to start?