Change Card-Color on condition

Hey
i would like to change the Card-Color on condition. In the top left corner you‘ll find my aqara door sensors named „Wohnungstür“ and „Kellertür“. I would like to change the color of each card seperatly to red, if the state change from „off“ to „on“. Is that possible?
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, what kind of cards do you use? I think there are several ways to do what you want. My first attempt will be to use two conditional cards, one for each background:

Another option would be the config template card, where you can use templates in your card definition:

When you use the custom button card, it has an option to change the style of the card, depending on state:

Hey @tobi-bo , thank you for your help! I use simple entity-Cards. And i can not believe, that there is no option “out of the box”. Do i have to install in fact a template?

Yes, I think so. As far as I know, the standard entities card does not support any templating or changing the background color depending on state.

1 Like

Hey, @tobi-bo, would you please help me? Since a lot of days i try to integrate the config-template-card. I installed it via HACS. And then the instructions don´t go into the support of beginners. Unfortunately I have no idea, how to implement a card that change his background color in dependency of the status. I can’t even find entry-level information or YouTube videos explaining how to embed. :pleading_face:

Hi, this works for me:

type: 'custom:config-template-card'
variables: 
  LIGHT_STATE: states['light.lightstrip_bett'].state
entities:
  - light.lightstrip_bett
card:
  type: entities
  entities:
	- light.lightstrip_bett
  card_mod:
	style: >-
	  ${ if (LIGHT_STATE === 'on') {
		'ha-card {background-color: #AAFFAA;}'
	  }
	  else {
		'ha-card {background-color: #FFAAAA;}'
	  }}

Results in:

Doesn’t look pretty so far, but you have to play around with the colors :wink:

For this example card-mod must be installed, but in principle the template works at every point in the card definition.

1 Like

Well… I´ve installed the card-mod and the config-template-card via HACS. And if i have a look on Ressources in the Lovelace section, both of them are shown. But if i create a new manual card and fill in the basic code,

card_mod:
  style: |
    ha-card {
      color: red;
    }

i´ll become a error: “No card type found”. If i fill in your code, nothing happens. The result is empty. It feels like there is any missing step… But i have no idea, what i could have forgotten…

1 Like

you don’t need the template card, card mod accepts jinja templates

Oh hell… So many new things… :slight_smile:
I tried the template card to see what happens. But do i understand you right: I have to open my existing card and need to edit the code?

My original:

cards:
  - type: button
    tap_action:
      action: none
    entity: binary_sensor.openclose_4
    show_icon: false
    show_state: true
    show_name: true
    hold_action:
    icon_height: 65px
    tap_action:
    entity: binary_sensor.openclose_3
    hold_action:

Sorry guys! It’s just stuck with me.

tap_action:
    entity: binary_sensor.openclose_4
    hold_action:
    card_mod:
        ha-card { 
          background-color: {{ '#AAFFAA' if is_state('binary_sensor.openclose_4', 'on') else '#FFAAAA' }};
        }
9 Likes

Aaaahhh, got it! I thougt, that i have to use a separate card because of the HACS installations. I still have a lot to learn! :roll_eyes:
Many thanks for your help, guys! And @tobi-bo: Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

Have the same kind of issue with Card Mod. I want to have a card colored if the output power of my solar panels is more than 0. I’ve created this

type: entity
entity: sensor.rdk0cev0ae_output_power
card_mod:
    ha-card {
      color: {{ '#AAFFAA' if is_state('sensor.rdk0cev0ae_output_power', 'state') > 0 else '#000000' }};
    }

But for some reason this doesn't work. Can someone see what is going wrong?

Got it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

While most other answers are good I want to go a little further and give you a little more functionality to this.

card_mod:
    ha-card {
      {% if is_state('light.entity_name', 'on') %}
        {% set light_color = state_attr('light.entity_name', 'rgb_color') %}
        background-color: rgb({{ light_color[0] }}, {{ light_color[1] }}, {{ light_color[2] }}, 0.1);
      {% endif %}
    }

This supports color change of the entity in question. The idea is to get the rgb colors from the entity in a variable and use it to construct the color in css when the light is on. Note that the background will be with transparency of 10% and you might want to adjust that as needed based on your design. Have fun!

1 Like