Change home / not_home

Hello.

Is there a way to change the home name? I cant find it…

hi…I havent seen an option to change the state names home/not_home but Why cant you build a mqtt tracker and update it with your custom name when the device is at home or away? You can use an automation for this purpose.

Which name fo you mean? The name of your home zone?

Yes. Because i can not change it. It says home / not_home. And want to change that to thuis / niet thuis

Where does it show this? Normally this is only in Developer Tool -> States, to be used in ajtomations etc. In the frontend it should automatically show friendly names based on the language set in your profile.

1 Like

If you can’t, and it seems like Home is a system variable that may have other things reliant upon it, you could always create an overlapping zone called whatever you want it to be called. Although doing this may be confusing for presence detection services when trying to figure out which zone you are in. Alternatively you could shrink the radius of the Home zone to as small as possible and make sure the overlapping zone is larger, that might help with that problem.

You can customize the the friendly name of zone.home through customize.yaml.

But isn’t Home always home? Even the documentation regarding zones specifically mentions the Home zone being home.

I don’t understand:

homeassistant:
  customize:
    zone.home:
      friendly_name: Zu Hause
      icon: mdi:home

This works fine for me and changes the friendly name of the home zone to “Zu Hause”.

2 Likes

Of course, I hadn’t considered the customize option and if that would be valid against the zones like that. Brilliant.

if OP is talking about device tracker home/not_home, make a custom sensor with your preferred text:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    LarsA:
      friendly_name: 'LarsA'
      value_template: >-
          {% if is_state('device_tracker.LarsA_iphone', 'home') %}
            thuis
          {% else %}
            niet thuis
          {% endif %}
1 Like

Thank you. This was working for me.

Where do you put this code in? configuration.yaml?

Where you create your sensors. Either configuration.yaml, or if you have split up your configuration, in sensor.yaml.