Change password option not available

Hi,
I have user who forgot his password and I need to reset it. I followed the To reset a user’s password, as an administrator via the web interface section of docs. I verified I already have advanced mode activated, went to Settings -> People and clicked said person in the list. However, the documentation says to select Change Password at the bottom of the dialog box, but there is only Delete and Update, no option to change password.

First of all, I found it strange why the change password option should be under People if I can, and have, Users without Person, so I switched to Users tabs, found said user, clicked on it, and again there is no option to change password.

After quick Google search I found people who had the option missing due to browser cache, so I tried clearing cache, cookies, storage, logging in different browsers, nothing works. I still have advanced mode activated, but the option is still not there.

I noticed I’m on 2023.9.2, so I updated to 2023.10.0 to be on latest just to be sure. Still no change.

I tried to solve this issue by telling another Administrator to change the password. He got back to me saying he can’t find the option.

I had the same issue about a month ago when I couldn’t find a way to reset password for user used on kiosk tablet, back then I just deleted the user and created a new one. But this is not an option this time.

I have dedicated machine running Home Assistant Operating System so theoretically I should be able to reset the password via console, but I’m not on site now.

Why is the Change Password option not available? Is this a bug or something wrong with my installation? Also if the option is supposed to be under People, how do I change password for Users not assigned to a Person?
Thanks you.

1 Like

I also have the exactly the same problem. I also tried all the described methods but at no browser or app the option to change password is available.

Maybe something to do with your theme ?

Had this issue when porting my instance to another device too. I unfortunately forgot my administrator’s password and the option did to change it in the UI did not appear for another admin account. That is due to the fact the other admin account was not an owner, which is basically necessary to change other user’s passwords.

I managed this by logging in via ssh, went to the /config/.storage/ folder, opened the file “auth” via nano and set another admin as owner. Restarted HA and now I see the option.

2 Likes

Nice, that did it. However, just wondering what is the difference between Administrator and an Owner (what else*). Administrator should be able to change passwords I guess by default. That’s what an administrator usually does :slight_smile: